Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a fish finder to use for both my boat (pontoon) and to ice fish.

I can't find any DI that I can buy a ice transducer for. I know I could build something to make it work

My question really is why?

Is there no demand

Do I have a dumb idea

Should I be buying something else

I'm only looking to spend like 250 so any help should be great.

I will mostly fish Brighton area lakes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have both boat transducer and ice for my lowrance x67c. Had to buy an addition wiring harness for the boat but works great for both applications. You can buy them for 200-300 depending on year and if it is used. Great battery life with a 9v compared to the 7 it comes with.. 2 to 3 days fishing time. Would highly recommend the unit. Hope this helps

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I'd look at the Lowrance Elite line of units...the Elite 4 would be more in your price range but Cabelas has the Elite 5 online for sale at $379.99...that's a steal considering Lowrance has the suggested retail price at over $600

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a x67c but I added to my arsenal last year with a Humminbird 385 CI DI that I got cheap when the 386 came out. I bought an ice ducer for it even though they say it isn't compatible. For the ice fishing season I turn off all the DI windows so I don't accidentally fry the ice transducer. I only run it in 200 kHz single beam mode and last season it worked great.

I use it in the summer in my kayak with the regular DI transducer. I mostly run it in the regular modes but it is cool to look at trees underwater in DI mode. The built in GPS is way more important to me than the DI.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
i to own a x67c but it is out of date now. i would suggest now a lowrance elite 4 sonar / gps combo wile out fishing in the summer you can mark the weed lines, hard bottom flats, rock piles, gravel bars, etc... then come back and find them in the winter by gps location. this is all done by easy of soft water in the summer from the boat. so you can hover till you find and mark these spots . any ways if you feel you still need the dsi system the di is for down imaging the dsi is down and side imaging combo. and the eltie 4x sold at cabelas is for $199 has the combo version with it.

but i do not suggest it just because the transducer is to long for the holes you will need a bigger auger to like a 8 or 10 inch to even use the sonar... this is were the sonar gps combo is better it has a smaller transducer about 2-4 inches long that can be mounted to a pvc pipe and sunk in the water with a tee at the top of the pipe so not to fall down the hole. now with the dsi you still got to mount it to some thing to get it down the hole. this is were you will need a bigger hole for the dsi model but it's up to you!

by the way the dsi are only good to like 200 foot deep if you fish lake mich ever it will not work there. 1000 fow and the zoom function suck on them. just a tip i think your better with the elite four gps /sonar combo. by the way i would say the elite 5 but you said you don't want to spend it! cause it has a bigger screen better views.

here are link to the two unit in question any way best of luck.

gps / sonar combo model

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104707080;cat104588280

dsi model

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104707080;cat104588280

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
I'm looking to buy a fish finder to use for both my boat (pontoon) and to ice fish.

I can't find any DI that I can buy a ice transducer for. I know I could build something to make it work

My question really is why?

Is there no demand

Do I have a dumb idea

Should I be buying something else

I'm only looking to spend like 250 so any help should be great.

I will mostly fish Brighton area lakes.
Take a look at the Humminbird 300 series fish finders. I think They offer an ice transducer for that series they also have down imagining in this models now.

Now with that said the ice ducer will not let you use the down imaging.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help

I was thinking maybe the DI would be useful because it closer to a underwater camera that some people use. It seem like it not based on your comments.

Also i see all of you recommended color screen units. Is it better to get a color screen on a smaller unit or more functions on grayscale?

Also i use the navitronics apps on my phone so im not sure about the usefulness of the gps on the unit

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Thanks for all the help

I was thinking maybe the DI would be useful because it closer to a underwater camera that some people use. It seem like it not based on your comments.

Also i see all of you recommended color screen units. Is it better to get a color screen on a smaller unit or more functions on grayscale?

Also i use the navitronics apps on my phone so im not sure about the usefulness of the gps on the unit
Color without a doubt

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Thanks for all the help

def color .

and if looking at gpses. with this gps you can back up with the arrow courser to mark approx location on were it hit. plus marking were it may have came from like if drifting using a wind sock or trolling this help out. were the phone navonics is not as fun. but not saying you can use your phone for this.. if i remember right the gps in the phones were not as detailed on some as they wee others . so comparing would be a good point like in store comparison .

any ways if you think the dsi will work go ahead but i don't think it will... plus it is not as good as the reg sonar a lot say...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Down imaging will not work for ice fishing because you have to be moving in order to get a picture of structure. Humminbirds have the regular sonar and DI built into the same unit. So for ice fishing I use the regular mode.
Built in GPS is more important than DI for me as it shows me how fast I'm trolling and waypoints with out having to get out my phone or handheld gps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgive me if im wrong but how are you guys using the gps. Are you carrying around the GPS in the bag open for ice fishing?

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Forgive me if im wrong but how are you guys using the gps. Are you carrying around the GPS in the bag open for ice fishing?
It detaches from the ice fishing mount...I'd buy an extra mount and put it above your handlebars so you can operate it hassle free while driving

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
you can get a handle bar mount and use it on the snow mobile or even a handheld unit that work with navonics. like at link below or input the coordinates from the the fish finder in to the phone or hand held units. see below link for hand held unit that supports navonics... it just swapping chips at that point with the navonics see why it is easier.. any ways best of luck....

http://www.basspro.com/Magellan-eXplorist-610-Handheld-GPS-Unit/product/10209445/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts