Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL, it appears that our Dry Tortugas trip, out of Key West, that was supposed to go out in late January is now FINALLY going out on March 6th, returning to Key West on March 8th.

The trip is a "repeat" of a trip we took with the same charter service back in 1992. I am fishing with one of my old firefighting buddies, his sons, and some friends.

We are fishing with Capt. Eddie Griffiths. Last time out we fished with his father, Andy. It is a long time family owned charter service with a very good reputation.

On the Wednesday, before we leave, we have rented a houseboat in Key West Harbor. We will spend that evening, in Key West, catching up on what has passed over the years. The "youngin's" will likely spend a bit more time in town than us "old guys" will. LOL!

Thursday night we are spending on the boat we are fishing on. That will allow us to get everything on board that evening rather than wasting time on Friday when we depart.

We have rented the houseboat, on Sunday and Monday nights, after we come back in on Sunday. The houseboat has 2 commercial freezers on board so we will have time to vacuum seal, and freeze the fish solid, before we head home.

I will post again, after I get back, with pictures.

Here is the link to the charter service.

http://www.fishcapteddie.com/

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was last time we went and we did not even make out to the Tortugas.

The last time it was VERY windy, so we went to the Marquesas Keys. We could get out of the wind there. We caught fish no matter what the time, day or night.

We do hope to make it to the Tortugas this time. I don't really know why, but, seeing Ft. Jefferson is near the top of my bucket list.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
How much fishing gear is the group taking down there? It looks like a lot of the charters down there are more of a boat for rent and you supply the gear.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much fishing gear is the group taking down there? It looks like a lot of the charters down there are more of a boat for rent and you supply the gear.

We have purchased the "tackle package" they sell. A couple of us have our own rods and reels we are taking with us, just because it's more cool to use your own toys. LOL!

The cost of that package is listed in the fee area. They don't use junk, I just like my toys better.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
WELL, it appears that our Dry Tortugas trip, out of Key West, that was supposed to go out in late January is now FINALLY going out on March 6th, returning to Key West on March 8th.

The trip is a "repeat" of a trip we took with the same charter service back in 1992. I am fishing with one of my old firefighting buddies, his sons, and some friends.

We are fishing with Capt. Eddie Griffiths. Last time out we fished with his father, Andy. It is a long time family owned charter service with a very good reputation.

On the Wednesday, before we leave, we have rented a houseboat in Key West Harbor. We will spend that evening, in Key West, catching up on what has passed over the years. The "youngin's" will likely spend a bit more time in town than us "old guys" will. LOL!

Thursday night we are spending on the boat we are fishing on. That will allow us to get everything on board that evening rather than wasting time on Friday when we depart.

We have rented the houseboat, on Sunday and Monday nights, after we come back in on Sunday. The houseboat has 2 commercial freezers on board so we will have time to vacuum seal, and freeze the fish solid, before we head home.

I will post again, after I get back, with pictures.

Here is the link to the charter service.

http://www.fishcapteddie.com/
I only have one question - will you be keeping fish heads for stew? :D

Just kidding Decoy. Have a good safe trip. Can't wait to see your write-up.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my father in law was alive we would be making grouper head chowder. Good stuff

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He used to boil the heads. Then we would pick off the meat. He added clams, corn, bacon, made a New England style creamy chowder

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good luck on your trip!!

Sweet, hope the weather holds for you. We have a tortugas trip scheduled in June. 4 day, 3 nite. It may be reducing to 3 day , 2 nite to try to fill the boat we have reserved. right now have 9 need 15. price is down to approx $600. I believe captain will open up and fill remaining slots by march. price does not include food, bait, gear.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will spend today packing, and then, loading up the truck. We are leaving at 0800 on the 28th. We will be hunting hogs on Mon and Tues, then driving to Key West on Wed. The boat leaves port on Friday the 6th

·
Registered
570 Posts
talking to a couple of guides in Key West, they told me that they head to the Dry Tortugas for recreational fishing when they have a few days off - it's on my bucket list now

i hope the weather cooperates - have a safe trip

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
talking to a couple of guides in Key West, they told me that they head to the Dry Tortugas for recreational fishing when they have a few days off - it's on my bucket list now

i hope the weather cooperates - have a safe trip
Thanks.

I am fishing with this guide. We fished with this service back in '94, when his dad ran the company.

http://www.fishcapteddie.com

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
I will spend today packing, and then, loading up the truck. We are leaving at 0800 on the 28th. We will be hunting hogs on Mon and Tues, then driving to Key West on Wed. The boat leaves port on Friday the 6th
I hope you include the hog hunt in your recap write up. It’s another thing I’ve been wanting to do for awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts