Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I thought I would check out a new trapping on the back side of the corn field you see behind my truck. Last nights rain has washed some of the mudd off the truck but I think the picture may still show the story. Never think it just looks a little wet. As I drove over the hill along the field edge I started to feel the ground give way. I gave it more gas but I came to a complete stop. I backed up untill I could go no more. I put in drive and took off knowing this would be my last chance. I got through, but the whole time thinking I was in for a walk to get the farmer and his tractor. I made to the end of the field and decided to turn it around and get out of there. I headed up toward the top of the field thinkinig it would be drier up there. It wasn't. Once again I had come to a stop. I put it in reverse and gave it some gas. Backing up about 20 feet I cranked the wheels and jumped out of the ruts. Putting it into 1st gear I gave it some gas and put the tires on the corn rows and headed over the hil. Once I was headed down the other side I felt a little relief. I was going to get a picture of the field but the goo had oozed in the ruts filling them back in.
Lesson learned...............Nothing, that was a lot of fun. I'll just have to walk in.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
With this thaw, I have walked-in on my last 5 checks on a farmers property. Its almost a half-mile to the sets over hill and dale.

He never told me to walk, but I dont want to make ruts in his field. I purposely park up by the barn so he can see that I am making the effort.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
LOL at the lesson learned, NOTHING. If anything, the lesson should be to bring one of the kids if you have any so they can make the walk to get the farmer and the tractor.

Glad you got out without that, been there, done that and never knew Icouls swear for a whole 2 mile walk!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
One of the fastest ways to lose access on ground is to drive on it, especially when you know darned well that you are going to make a mess.

And, consider that it might not just be you that gets hurt. We have been denied access to ground because somebody else drove on it and ticked the land owner off. Think before you drive a vehicle out there...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wing watcher. That is what I am tring to say. I'll quoat again, "never think it just looks a little wet". Yes I was worried about the mess and I was glad to see it had oozed back in. My only comfort is knowing the farmers boy's all have 4 wheelers and regularly tear up the fields. He leases all his fields and must not care, giving his boys are alway tearing them up. I didn't intend to make a mess,,,, but it sure was fun. So guys if youre back in someones field stay on the 2 track for now.

Frantz. I would love to toss my boy out in knee deep mudd to go get help. The problem is he is 23 now. It may be a little more difficult.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
FixedBlade said:
So guys if youre back in someones field stay on the 2 track for now.
I wouldn't even recommend that. That snow pulled what little frost we had right out of the ground.

ATV's may look like they are tearing up a field but, they just don't sink in like a truck and don't really compact the soil or do long lasting damage to established trails.

I have had to pull more than one idiot out who drove on the two track and sank out of sight. Even if they got out...the trail got all rutted up and nobody ever seems to want to come back and fix it....not a good thing.

All I am saying is that folks would be better off parking at the road for now...that way, no problems can arise.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By 4 wheelers I mean trucks. I'm not talking about quads being back in the fields. :bash: I'm talking boys and 4 wheel drive trucks.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
FixedBlade said:
By 4 wheelers I mean trucks. I'm not talking about quads being back in the fields. :bash: I'm talking boys and 4 wheel drive trucks.
Ok...now I get it...

BTW, does anybody have any idea why I cannot use smiles any more? They are not disabled either...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts