Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2012/08/dnrs_new_rules_aim_to_renew_hu.html

“What the group wants to do is increase the quality of hunting on the island,” said Terry Minzey, the DNR’s Upper Peninsula Regional Wildlife supervisor.
Minzey has been coordinating the island discussions about how to manage the almost 30,000 acres of state-owned land that makes up 57 percent of the island.
Those lands were purchased in 1942 with the proceeds from hunting license fees. But hunting activity has been in decline for a decade, and the reasons go beyond lessened interest on the part of youths.
In fact, many say the island has been overhunted. It has too little law enforcement to keep a lid on poaching or the illegal ORV use which interferes with hunting activities.
That, in turn, has made Drummond Island less attractive to downstate hunters who once filled the lodges and cabins each fall.
“We used to be open for business in November, but we’re no longer open because the business has dropped off,” said Jim Kelley, owner of the North Haven Gift Shop on the island.
“I think they have overhunted the island.”
Hunters will be interested in rule changes being proposed. They include requiring a special free tag to hunt the island, requiring hunters to report their kills, restricting deer kills to bucks with no less than three antler points on one side, eliminating baiting and tree stands during the firearm season on parts of the island, and creating a walk-in zone for hunters in which motorized vehicles would not be allowed.

·
Super Moderator
20,801 Posts
Maybe the 3 antler points and scared to run my hound around sheep ranch on account of wolves?

Keep pushing!

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I believe these rules were proposed by the Islands Chamber of Commerce to the DNR/NRC. These are not DNR proposals. This is what the entire island wants because they feel it'll bring more fall tourism.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
I believe these rules were proposed by the Islands Chamber of Commerce to the DNR/NRC. These are not DNR proposals. This is what the entire island wants because they feel it'll bring more fall tourism.
These recommendations came out of a workgroup called the Drummond Island Writing team, that included members from stakeholder groups, the business community and other interested parties working in tandem with the DNR. Their report to the NRC, which included these recommendations, was presented at the July NRC meeting. The DNR was definitely involved in drafting these proposals, it was a joint effort between DNR staff and stakeholders.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I love hunting the island, and I think this is a great idea that they have come up with. We have been doing better up there but it took a lot of years of learning. A lot of what i've seen is whoever has the biggest bait pile wins, so I like the new ideas. It would be nice to have more enforcement/get more dnr officers on the island.

·
Registered
158 Posts
DI is a special place and with these potential regs I may very well be interested in a deer hunt there some day.

I hope the group gets it done!

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
Good for the residents of Drummond Island.

See a problem, do something about it.

I've hunted and fished up there with my buddy off an on over
the past 15 years and for the most part, deer hunting sucks, rabbit
hunting pretty good, fishing pretty good.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Heck if they really want to grow big bucks, and improve the hunting just eliminate the baiting part of it, and you won't see any deer up on the island at all. Then you'll have lots of 1,2,3, and 4 year olds running around, you just won't see them. :lol:

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Did any of this stuff pass?

We are planning a trip to Drummond for gun season.

You might want to re-consider. Last year was terrible. This year will be worse. I saw 2 bucks all week. Both were spikes with about 3" tines. If your just going for the atmosphere it's tough to beat though.

·
Premium Member
30,941 Posts
Yeah, we're going 99% for the atmosphere.

The motto of the Michigan masses. If you're going to spend the time and money, you might as well have a positive attitude about part of the trip.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I still want to get a big one though.

There are a few running around there just gotta be at the right place at the right time. I've hunted the island since I was 16 and I'm still waiting for one of the big boys to slip up. One of the biggest obstacles you'll soon realize is a lot of the island is extremely thick. A buck could be 35yds away and you'd never know. The low hunting pressure also keeps deer from being pushed around. So they move on their own terms. Which can be good and bad.

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
Fixed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Were your lips chapped in the fixing of that quote?
My guess is ... YES.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts