Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a feature on weather.gov which provides a national map of observed precipitation history. It provides you with canned date parameters to choose from.
http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Looking at the last 60 days, it sure looks like a substantial drought in most of OH, IN, WV, and KY. I was listening to the NWS radio out of Angola, IN on Saturday, and the narrator said that, so far as the next week was concerned, there was "no expected relief from the developing drought."

Here's a 60 day lookback as of June 18:

Note the lack of precipition extending up into Hillsdale County, the northeasternmost corner of which encompasses my farm.:rant: No wonder the farmers are so grouchy.

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-indiana-drought-conditions-map.php
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-ohio-drought-conditions-map.php

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-06-14/indiana-drought-worsening-after-scant-rainfall
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120601/LOCAL/306019950
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather...counties-now-officially-in-drought-conditions

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mighty as well include the majority of Hillsdale and Lenawee counties in that assessment. Get ready for massive EHD outbreaks in areas with problematic deer densities! Not to mention terrible yield of my soybean crop!!!!

·
Premium Member
30,833 Posts
Just received .53" at the Smith Ponderosa!:)
That makes .58" over the last 14+ days.:(

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks for the link Farm...

The eagle soys we planted are thirsty too. Only had .25 in of rain near Ubly yesterday:sad::help:

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Seriously, I haven't had measurable (beyond a trace) of precip at my farm since the first days of May. I planted soys 05/19, and sorghum sudangrass Memorial Day; nothing green has showed up yet. Planted some sweet corn this past Saturday in the dust. $200 worth of trees/shrubs which I planted in April are pretty much dead.

This isolated shower just missed me to the NE minutes ago. Lenaweebowhunter and bioactive look to be getting a good rain now.;)

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Seriously, I haven't had measurable (beyond a trace) of precip at my farm since the first days of May. I planted soys 05/19, and sorghum sudangrass Memorial Day; nothing green has showed up yet. Planted some sweet corn this past Saturday in the dust. $200 worth of trees/shrubs which I planted in April are pretty much dead.

This isolated shower just missed me to the NE minutes ago. Lenaweebowhunter and bioactive look to be getting a good rain now.;)

Well, we just had a major down pour in Addison.

Unfortunately for you fl, it appeared to sweep in mainly from the north.

Unfortunately for me, I was about 1/3 of the way through planting sweet corn I am testing as a nurse crop for some switch plantings.

Can't finish now, the ground is soaked.

Birds are taking baths in puddles, water is still gushing out of the spouts, thunder still in the distance. There is some weather to my west but I highly doubt it reaches the HCRDWMDA (Hillsdale County Roadside Dump and Washing Machine Disposal Area).

·
Registered
817 Posts
In past years in the WUP we have gotten those long dry spells and nothing produces well. However, so far this year we are geting good periodic rains. I won't be up ther until July 12 to look things over but expect good results. FL, good luck on your later crops and hopefully the rains come.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is some weather to my west by I highly doubt it reaches the HCRDWMDA (Hillsdale County Roadside Dump and Washing Machine Disposal Area).
Make that the HCRDWMDA and Dustbowl Zone, now known as Rancho Joad (from The Grapes of Wrath).:mad:

Sure was maddening looking out my office window at the downpour while watching the radar which showed the rain missing my farm.

·
Registered
301 Posts
SE corner Barry got downpour for half hour. I think its to late for my beans as they've pretty much been mowed down by deer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wow, that's pretty rough. I thought we had it dry up here. I hope the next one drenches your farm FL.

It was getting pretty bad at our property in Ionia County, but finally got a 1"+ today.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The rain looked great on radar........but it pretty well dissipated before it got to the Tawas area. Got just 0.06 out of all of that. Really disappointing! Wife watered every new tree from the spring planting twice this weekend with a bucket and a 55 gallon drum on the back of a lawn tractor cart. Food plots looking dismal...they have spouted but seem stunted waiting on water.

According to the weather service we are down 12% for the year, but 28% below normal precipitation for June.

Its like a valley and everything either goes north or south and seems to split around Tawas Bay. On Saturday night everyone but us got rain.:dizzy:

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Make that the HCRDWMDA and Dustbowl Zone, now known as Rancho Joad (from The Grapes of Wrath).:mad:

Sure was maddening looking out my office window at the downpour while watching the radar which showed the rain missing my farm.

I was wondering if you were at the office or at the farm as I watched it rain buckets of cool refreshening food plot juice in Plymouth.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts

"I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be ever'-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise, and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too."

Tom Joad aka Henry Fonda with many thanks to Steinbeck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just got some pictures today of two plots on VERY sandy ground up in the NWLP that I planted 5/3. We had rain 5/7-5/8 and then about 10 days of little or no rain. The BW popped up, dried out and withered away. The fields look pretty sad. Maybe what is left will make a 2nd effort, with the recent rain, but I don't see where we'll be tilling under a whole lot of green manure THIS summer. :(

·
Premium Member
30,833 Posts
1 - 20 of 182 Posts