Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read about Brian (Prechjerker) and hus terrible accident. I purchased a new boat this spring and had a Dritto unit installed on the trailer. I'm close to retirement age and not as agile as I once was. Thought this unit would help launching the boat as I got older.
The units work great. 12-14 launches so far and never have gotten my feet wet. Half of those were fishing by myself. If you don't know what it is look it up. If you do, seriously consider getting one. There aren't cheap about after using it all summer and reading about Brian's accident I think its the best money I've spent on the boat. I have mine on a bunk trailer for an 18' glass tiller boat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
5,456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,877 Posts
Just read about Brian (Prechjerker) and hus terrible accident. I purchased a new boat this spring and had a Dritto unit installed on the trailer. I'm close to retirement age and not as agile as I once was. Thought this unit would help launching the boat as I got older.
The units work great. 12-14 launches so far and never have gotten my feet wet. Half of those were fishing by myself. If you don't know what it is look it up. If you do, seriously consider getting one. There aren't cheap about after using it all summer and reading about Brian's accident I think its the best money I've spent on the boat. I have mine on a bunk trailer for an 18' glass tiller boat.

Was thinking about those too. Did you install while the boat was still on the trailer or back it off a bit at the dock?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
But isn't this considered "power loading"? CO told me if you gas engine and not let boat drift on, it's power loading.
Also if you fish alone you still must get out of boat at some time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just put a Drotto on my trailer this year and I love it! I used to "walk the plank" to crank the boat on, it can be a little dicey!. Rather than drive onto the trailer, I usually just back the trailer in the water, get on the dock, and just push the boat onto the latch...Click! Easy! Then pull out and strap everything down on as usual.

·
Super Moderator
28,877 Posts
I just put a Drotto on my trailer this year and I love it! I used to "walk the plank" to crank the boat on, it can be a little dicey!. Rather than drive onto the trailer, I usually just back the trailer in the water, get on the dock, and just push the boat onto the latch...Click! Easy! Then pull out and strap everything down on as usual.
Exactly how I envisioned doing it.
I too walk on the tongue from the truck bed. Getting in and out of the truck bed is getting harder by the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slimshady, you are correct. Drotto. I just make sure I back the trailer close to the dock and step in and out of the boat. Back the trailer deep enough and it's an easy idle into the unit. Super easy with 2 people. Hope more folks seriously consider one or something like this unit. Reading about Brian's accident breaks my heart.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Accidents can happen even with the best of equipment and caution taken. My fishing buddy shatered his pelvis a few years ago stepping out of my boat to the dock and catching his foot on the hand rail falling down to the dock. That was a painfull year of recovery!

·
Registered
856 Posts
May add a Drotto to my trailer as well. This spring I added a Trick step to the front of my trailer. I nose the boat on to the trailer, go down the steps and latch winch strap and crank it tight. If with a fishing partner they back trailer in and pull out. If I’m solo I tie boat to dock and back trailer under boat. Get out of boat directly to dock. No more standing in water or on the slippery concrete. I have been accused by others that’s considered power loading. I motor up as slow as possible.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've fished all over the country and most other states power loading is the norm. You aren't hurting anything by idling on. With the drotto latch on you just back the trailer in a little deeper that you normally would and it crawls right up and latches. I don't have one, but two fishing buddies have them and love them. If it's late or early in the season and no docks are in one guy can back in, the other guys drives on and your out. Really slick.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts