Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new to lead core this year and run straight back, caught one fish no problems, have read that if you get a fish on riggers they will tangle with core, suggestion was a drop weight to get down out of way. my question is it a sliding weight on line?or do you clip on core and let out more backing? also how much weight? Heading out of Elk Rapids in morning will post results. thanks, mm

·
Registered
124 Posts
When using core straight back from the boat you have a high risk for tangles with a fish caught off a rigger. You'll do better with an in-line planer board, to get the core off to the side. Good luck!

Bob

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Also, when running core "down the pipe" you should really reel it in when you get a fish on another rod. That will keep the center clear so you can fight the fish.

If i run a lead core down the pipe its a short core, say 3-5 colors so i can clear it quickly if i need to. And i normally only run one down the pipe when its too rough to run multiple boards. If its rough ill run one on each side with boards, then one down the center. Otherwise, i run them on inline boards so i can spread things out to cover more water and i dont have to worry about clearing them, although sometimes you do get a rambunctious king that makes you scramble to clear the inside board from harms way.:yikes::dizzy::lol:...but thats what makes it fun.;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You actually have 2 questions.....

As far as the drop[ weight, either snap or dive bomb, I place mine 1/2 way up the core. I have tried it both in front--- with success, and behind the core,,, with success but I seem to do better mid way.

Now as far as running it down the shoot, I advoid running any lines down the shoot due to tangles. I prefer to run the cores or what ever on the boards using Church in lines. They have an adjustable weight to compensate for the pull and they work great.....gets tehm out of the fighting path so to speak. If you are going to run cores down teh center, then be prepared, Like Adam said, to pull those once a fish is on and it get's angry.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts