Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Drop Away Rest Help

4K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  Chasin 
#1 ·
Fellow Friends,

I just picked up a Bowtech Tribute for a darn good price NIB...Now I have to equip it. I am starting my research on drop away arrow rests and would like some of your input on what you guys think is a good brand to look into. If a good brand costs a little extra, so be it...I want the stuff I buy to perform well and last. So, Any input would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
-Andy

#6 ·
Schaffer make great rests but they're built primarily for Mathews bows.
They match the Mathews Camo and shelf fit perfectly.

I'm a Trophy Taker fan myself...I've had a lot of them. Even most of them I'd say.

I have not tried the limb driver however. The loooong cord to the limb both annoys me and scares me but some swear by them. I'm not at all "dainty" with my gear though so I look for durability.

Strictly hunting a Whisker biscuit is tough to beat.

#8 ·
I had a Schaffer on my bow (Mathews Icon) and took it off for the Trophy Taker. They fit and finish on a Schaffer is supurb. I didn't care for the prongs for the drop away position. (The Schaffer can be shot as a conventional prong rest or converted to a drop away).

Ray

#10 ·
I've used quite a few over the years and I've been happiest with one that is now discontinued -GKF TKO. With that said, I also have the standard QAD Hunter that I picked up for $40 and am pleased with it but it can be a tricky rest to tune with the quicker bows. If money were no object I'd probably go with a Vital Bow Gear Kazaway or a G5 Expert II.

#11 ·
With the cam system that BowTech uses the Limb Driver should be your first and only choice. It does not attach to the cables and will not affect timing. Simple to install and tune.
I fully agree with this statement after having moved from a Trophy Taker shakey hunter to a Limbdriver on my Bowtech Guardian. In fact, I was getting ready to post such a comment. There is a good amount of information on binary cams and drop away rests on archerytalk.com if you want to get into the more technical explanations. Just search for "Dave Nowlin" as he seems to have PhD-knowledge of the binary cam systems.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626255
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=6168932#post6168932

And Jim, please post more often so I can ogle your avatar more often. :D

#12 ·
I would vote for the Ripcord as I have one on my bow and love it. Never had an issue as far as tuning goes or durability. It is a full containment style rest so no worry about the arrow hoping out while drawing or walking/stalking.

Sounds like the Tributes cam system makes it tough to serve it into the bow strings so perhaps the Ripcord wouldn't be the best choice for that bow.

#13 ·
If you are concerned with the cord then there is just as much concern with the cables themselves. I've been using this rest for 2 years now and it is a non issue. I have one on a 1993 Hoyt and it will work far better on the new equipment. The comments regarding Mr. Nowlin are very true. Dave worked with BowTech on their help line for a time.

#16 ·
QAD LD is a very nice rest, it contains the arrow and is pretty quiet. I'm shooting great with it now.
I had a Schaffer on my older Switchback and it was ok, but doesnt contain the arrow. NAP makes a nice little arrow holder, but when you draw back the arrow isnt contained.
The new G5 rest looks interesting, but it actually isnt a new idea, they bought out a company (DMI I think) but same thing, the arrow isnt contained at full draw. But it looks quiet!
Limb Drivers I know nothing about...
Do yourself a favor and check out the QAD LD:)

#17 ·
Let me tell you from experience set it up with a limb driver. I picked up an 06 tribute in January and the shop set up a drop zone tied to the down cable. I could not get 80% let off on the bow because my cams where not synched, they must be synched to have proper performance. The cord from the drop zone throws off your timing, now I know you can twist your cables and allow for that but on advice from a binary cam expert I got rid of the drop zone went to a limb driver and never looked back. Now I must tell you I absolutely love the Tribute and how it shoots, the limb driver performs great and I can't see the concern about the cord being valid is it lays right there along side the cables.

#21 ·
With the cam system that BowTech uses the Limb Driver should be your first and only choice. It does not attach to the cables and will not affect timing. Simple to install and tune.

Good call on the Limb Driver! The cam and limb configuration on the newer BowTech bows don't always allow enough movement for all of the drop away rests to "get out of the way" fast enough. Since this rest works with the limb movement, it's a plus. We'vd used it and haven't experienced any issues with the cord. A major plus is that it's super easy to set up, no major messing around with the timing. Hope you find a rest you are happy with. - Good hunting!

#23 ·
I have a drop zone on my tribute. Works flawlessly if setup correctly. If I were to switch (or outfit a new bowtech) I would try the limb driver.

Hope this helps
J-

#25 ·
As others have said - go with the limb driver. I would rather have a full containment rest myself, but any rest that attaches to the down cable will alter the timing on binary cams. There are many good rests out there with some loyal customers, love the QAD rests myself. But having a Bowtech myself the only drop away rest to use is the limb driver. Remember that timing is everything in regards to performance with binary cams.
If you haven't done so already, go look up the Dave Nowlin threads on archery talk. You will get quite an education about binary cam timing, Just be sure to ask him about the dots.:D

#26 ·
Actally, I don't think I will ask him about the dots.:rolleyes: What an incredibly helpful individual though. He talked to me for a 1/2 hour about getting my tribute set up. What is also incredible is he has only been shooting for 7 years or so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.