Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a lot of guys with those last time out. How do you like them? Do they work pretty good? How many holes do you get out of one battery? What brand attachment is good and where did you get it from? Thanks for any help/info.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Short answer is yes they work great

Pointerguy has done some good research that's a must read for anyone looking for a drill/auger

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I bought an adapter on Friday from the grab bag, works like a champ right now. Got a 5" Mora drill with good blades and makita lxt 18v hammer drill. Drilled about 25 holes through 7" of ice yesterday per battery. I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks for the very informative and helpful information I was looking for!

Not trying to be a smart you know what, just trying to help you out. There is a lot of good info that has been posted on this forum over the past 12 months that should answer a any and all questions. If you do a search on cordless drill augers you should be all set.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I thought you were being smart about it because lately it seems as if every time I post a question on this site about anything I get the same response back and it drives me nuts. Which is if I would have looked somewhere with in that thread I would find an answer. Almost like there's an answer for everything somewhere in the archives of this forum that I'm silly for even asking a question. And God forbid anyone on here ask a dumb question too (that's a whole another topic). Anyways I will research it myself eventually when I have more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I run a Milwaukee 18v hammer drill with a ice master adapter and a 5 in mora.
I chose a hammer drill because of the better and stronger internals, the batteries are LiIon 4ah XC batteries.

The ice master adapter is made here in the US specifically somewhere in St. Clair shores area. It works especially well and is very simple. It uses and elasticity band and abs plastic disc to remove the weight of the auger from the chuck and relocate it to the back of the handle. It is compact and lightweight, I did not like the idea of other models with a disc or pegs sticking out of the sides in case the auger was to detach itself while drilling.

With a little bit of research on an auger I found the mora style tends to shave the ice with less of a blade angle then the lazer, which would be easier on the drill thus prolonging battery life and allowing more holes per battery.

Typically I being a spare battery but rarely have I ever had to use it, with this setup and sharp blades, typical amount of holes in 10-12" of ice will yield 30-40holes.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know how you do.

Sent from the treestand.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I have the same adapter and 5" lazer only cause the lazer blades will last many years . I liked the mora and used it for many years but really had to change blade every year, which was not a big deal. lithium batteries and rarely if ever need both batteries...oh yeah it drilled good last year when I was bottomed out from too much ice too. I will never hand drill again....except of course it breaks , I have the handle with me also.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I keep the handle in the tub as well. You can't really go wrong for 20 bucks or so if you already have a decent cordless drill.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
How big of holes you guys drill? 8 inch max? Anyone try a 10 inch bit? Probably a touch big I'm thinking.
Josh

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Not sure if the drill will make a difference in how many holes you can drill but the size of the battery will. Also the size of the auger and ice thickness plays a role. I mainly run an 18v Rigid Hammer drill with a 5" lazer and bring 2 3.0ah lithium ion batteries with me. I don't go counting how many holes I can drill on 1 battery but most of the time I don't use the 2nd battery. I would probably say I get maybe around 30 holes on 1 battery. I also bring the handle to my hand auger just in case I run into a problem with my drill. For anyone that plans on running a 7-8" auger you might want to consider going with the Milwaulkee Fuel since it seems to have the most torque at over 700lbs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a good write up with lots of good info. Doesn't sound good for a 10 inch. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=
Edit link ain't working for some reason. Tried copying the link pointer guy made last winter. Won't let me tho
That link didn't work but oh well. My drill i'll be using is a dewalt 14.4v drill/driver. Pretty sure that will work for what I want. Also using a lazer 5" auger. thanks for any reassurances!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
14.4v not enough I was told by maker of ice master adapter. Oh well. Maybe time for a new drill or in that case a gas auger!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I you read through the thread on my review you will find that I know use the Milwaukee fuel 18v hammer drill with the clam auger plate and a 8" mora auger. All last season I used this setup on Saginaw bay. I never had any problems drilling through 24-30" of ice. This season my setup will be more than I need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts