Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to try out one of those drill attachments on my auger yesterday and that thing was terrible. Constantly came un-chucked, and was almost impossible to control. Anyone have any tips/fixes for this? Seemed like a great idea in theory, it definitely chews ice faster than hand augering when the damn thing can stay attached...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a homemade attachment made from 3/4 inch stick and milled down to fit my drill ! I LOVE IT ! It is so much faster than a gas auger but I inly have a 4" lazer auger that I use for perch , my regular 2 amp 18v lithium battery will drill about 10-20 holes however I can run my 4 amp 18v all day and drill at least 20-30 holes without changing batteries , I didn't think this was possible either and had doubts when my father in law told me about it but they really do work awesome just make sure u have a circle plate or some type of rod going horizontal on the attachment so when not if the drill comes loose ur auger won't go to the bottom , as far as for urs always coming loose idk what to tell Ya but good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
:fish:
The best way to stop the chuck problem is to take off the chuck [two minutes] and install an adapter with a 1/2 20 female opening on one end and the auger hook-up on the other. Nothing comes lose with this and you don't have to go fishing for your auger, been there! :fish:

·
Registered
341 Posts
My buddy helped me build an adapter to fit my drill to my auger. Here's what I did to prevent the auger from coming out of the chuck and going into the drink:

Cut a piece of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe. It must be longer in length than the diameter of your auger, a good four inches should do it. This way the pipe sits over the hole a good 2" on each side.

Drill a large enough hole through the side of the pvc for the auger shaft to fit through.

Drill two small holes at each end of the pvc. Then tie small diameter rope to those holes.

The pvc pipe will be placed on the auger shaft first. Then attach your drill adapter to the auger...then attach your drill. The rope on the pvc will go over the handle of your drill.

The pipe also allows you something to push on while using the auger, instead of putting your weight into the drill itself.

If that's too confusing I can post a picture for ya...just gotta find the darn thing.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
its 60 bucks lol. An adapter alone is like 20 bucks
my clam auger plate though came with the adapter that was drilled off center so auger wobbled. called them and they shipped new adapter that still wobbles. Gonna have to machine one myself I guess

·
Registered
341 Posts
its 60 bucks lol. An adapter alone is like 20 bucks
my clam auger plate though came with the adapter that was drilled off center so auger wobbled. called them and they shipped new adapter that still wobbles. Gonna have to machine one myself I guess
Haha I gotcha now. I never zoomed in on the pic and thought it was a gas auger! That's a sweet adapter

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
You could always just replace the chuck on your drill too..

You could get one that take a key so you could get it really tight...

<*)))>{

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Haha I gotcha now. I never zoomed in on the pic and thought it was a gas auger! That's a sweet adapter

I owned a gas auger before and after using my cordless drill/clam auger plate all last season I will never go back. The difference in weight alone makes this setup great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also use the Icemaster with a 20 v Dewalt and a 6 in Mora drill. Works great! After using a gas Jiffy for years the weight reduction is a blessing!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I bit on the clam, excited to try it out and get drilling!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts