Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of "performance" do I get out of a drift sock?
If I have a 14 foot boat trolling at 3 mph will two drift socks bring me down to 2 or 1 or what with the same throttle ? I am assuming there are small medium and large?

·
Registered
896 Posts
the drift socks will slow you down a lot. i run two of them so the boat doesn't spin in circles whenever i let go of the wheel, and it lets me run a higher rpm. i believe this helps keep the engine from loading up. hope this helps. if you only use one you will find out really fast about the spinning in circles thing.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
freshwater drum said:
if you only use one you will find out really fast about the spinning in circles thing.
But us Freek guys are used to spinning in circles.:lol:

I'd like to play around with one while drifting as well. thinking about buying ... but too cheap without trying. Wes ... I'd think the old bucket trick would solve your problem.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may be right buckets would likely do it maybe even in two gallon size.
These older smaller motors seem to have a tough time trolling down that low for a smaller boat like a 14 footer.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,370 Posts
Buckets won't collapse , you might try sewing up a bag of your own from poly-tarp - unless your wife will KILL YOU.
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I use a drift sock a lot when I'm slow trolling harnesses for walleyes out of my larger boat (a Lund 185 Tyee w/ a 125 Merc.). It really does a nice job slowiing the boat down to about 1.1. I put it on a rope and run it off the back of the boat. I have a ski tow harness that I attach and put the drift sock off it so it runs straight behind the engine.

Jim

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
A bigger one out the back like KI said with a ski harness off the corners works good, or two smaller ones (bucket size) up front of the cleats on either side works well too, and eliminates the problem of reeling in fish and trying to avoid the sock in the back.

Captain Jay

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You can use two buckets,and to make it easier to bring them in just cut out that small ring in the center of the bottom.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Wes:

I have several of the 6 gallon white buckets that salt comes in from Sam's club. I'll throw one in the truck and drop it off the next time I'm in town.

I have one already rigged up with I think 2 or 3 one inch holes in the bottom so it tracks good. Took the handle off and used a rope.

Worked good on my fat ol high sided Tracker. Think Robert and I used one on the bay last year.

Next time I'm in town I'll drop one off to ya.....

They work good in the "fishless" waters of the Freek.........LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts