Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year salmon fishing and thus far I've had no luck with crankbaits... so I'm looking to try a skein drift setup.

What I'm thinking of doing is using braided 20 lb. test for my main line. Attatching that to a 3 way swivel. attatching about 8'' of line to the swivel and putting 5 or so split shot to that line secured with an overhand knot. Then attatching about a 3' leader of mono 20 lb test to the third eye of the 3 way swivel with skein tied on.

Will this be an effective setup? It seems close to the chuck and duck style I see all of the fly fishers using and landing many salmon. Also, will clinch knots be sufficient to tie all of these knots... and any reccomendations for how to attatch skein to the treble hook or other alternatives for hooks (legal of course!) would be very helpful. Would a slip weight system be more efficient?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
1st: drop to 14lb or less on the leader (IMO).

2nd: knots you chose should be fine.

3rd and probably the most important is the length of your leader. 3ft is fine, 4ft is better (IMO), and well the best would be to match your length to the dept of the river section being fished (IMO). I have thrown a 15ft leader (distance from weight to hook) and on certain sections of river had outstanding results.

so yes basically chuck and duck set up. Any other thoughts on this group?

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
Tie the improved clinch.
Put all those Fin grabbing treble hooks away for pike fishing. Go get some #4 egg or octopus hooks.
Would not go any higher than 12lb Maxima for leader.
3 to 4 feet is fine. 15ft leaders are reserved for snobby dry fly fisherman.
tie the hook onto the leader line using a snell knot (egg loop, yarn loop.)
You should be able to find directions to tie it on the web with pictures showing it.
You should be pretty much good to go.

·
Registered
872 Posts
And they work...:rolleyes:
For dries only! Anything else is not cool. I streamer fish and nymph with half as much with outstanding results.Anything more than 3 feet with Cnd IS lining pure and simple![Don't kid yourself,just accept it]

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
yeah but 15' puts ya in the category of Extremely Flossing.:tdo12:

·
Banned
640 Posts
I sugest looking around, and asking questions look at someones set up and ask why they have it that way. look at a way that seems easiest to learn. I prefer 8 lb main line mostly becuse I always have it. However it can be light if you want to try to land every fish you hook. knot strength is the most important aspect, as well as rod selection. Skien fishing is fun use a light line and a small hook and a rod that is about 10ft in lenght. Thats my prefered skien method but I dont keep salmon. I like to use as light a set up as posssible

·
Banned
640 Posts
For dries only! Anything else is not cool. I streamer fish and nymph with half as much with outstanding results.Anything more than 3 feet with Cnd IS lining pure and simple![Don't kid yourself,just accept it]
Wow thats pretty strong words. I throw spey's and use a bout 20' I suppose I line them too? no a lineing rig is a rig thats used on fish in an impoundment like the 6thst or tippy. where the fish dont have time to re-act or see whats infront of them. if you take your 3' set up where I fish I doubt it would work. if you want a genuine take lets throw a spey, and you tell me if thats a lined fish or not. Mostly becuse the fly, muddler, or nymph is in his throught.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wow thats pretty strong words. I throw spey's and use a bout 20' I suppose I line them too? no a lineing rig is a rig thats used on fish in an impoundment like the 6thst or tippy. where the fish dont have time to re-act or see whats infront of them. if you take your 3' set up where I fish I doubt it would work. if you want a genuine take lets throw a spey, and you tell me if thats a lined fish or not. Mostly becuse the fly, muddler, or nymph is in his throught.
A spey set up wasn't considered,but your point is valid. I have been there and done that......and it was cool. You understand what I'm speaking of,though...Right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lots of useful tips, I'll switch to 12 lb maxima for a leader, and try out those #4 octopus hooks.

should I just secure skein in the egg loop or is there a better alternative I should look into for presentation? Maybe throw a corky in front of the hook?

if it helps, we are thinking of fishing the PM. We'll probably be casting crankbaits in the low light conditions of the early morning and late night... but would like to give this a shot during the day when they seem to dodge our lures. Again, my first year out and all suggestions have been appreciated, thanks guys.

edit: it's also been suggested I use a slip weight instead of the 3 way swivel method... is one way better than the other?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I'd just run a bobber, depending on the water your fishing. If your fishing slack-eddies, frogwater or slow seams, run a bobber. Don't forget to tie some bags up as well, alot of times when the skein bite slows down, they'll go on bags. I'd start running spawn as soon as it's light enough out for you to see, no need to wait.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Respen,

Most of the P.M is flys only make sure your not in one of those area's. As far as a slip sinker, thats my perfered method when using a spinner. If you use a barrel swivle as a slip tie on some line and add what ever split you feel is right for the drift. I dont like using a weight system that dose not come off snags. I put a barrel swivle on my main line so it slides, then a bead if you got it, then tie on a barrel swivle, then your leader, the bead helps protect the top knot. On the slip swivle I tie on a piece of line a bout 6" long and put split shot on that. This way if you snag (when) you dont loose your rig just a couple of split shot.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Yes I understand, however during salmon run dose it matter ? they are dead anyways. Sure I belive in a competative sytem for fishing every other fish just not salmon. Besides this system for salmon is probalbly the chepiest, and best way. I remeber the days of spending my paycheck on a salmon rig, that was shot after the first year from being wore out. When it comes to salmon now I go cheap. Steelies a difrent story. But I refuse to let a salmon break another 100$ + rod or reel.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Yes I understand, however during salmon run dose it matter ? they are dead anyways. Sure I belive in a competative sytem for fishing every other fish just not salmon. Besides this system for salmon is probalbly the chepiest, and best way. I remeber the days of spending my paycheck on a salmon rig, that was shot after the first year from being wore out. When it comes to salmon now I go cheap. Steelies a difrent story. But I refuse to let a salmon break another 100$ + rod or reel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thread on snap swivels to attach weight above the barrel swivel attaching the leader. I stuff split shot in surgical tubing and snap it on. It stays attached most of the time after you break off. I don't lose many split shot. Also, I use drift sinkers in deeper, faster water. With a snap swivel you can change them in a .....uh....snap.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I thread on snap swivels to attach weight above the barrel swivel attaching the leader. I stuff split shot in surgical tubing and snap it on. It stays attached most of the time after you break off. I don't lose many split shot. Also, I use drift sinkers in deeper, faster water. With a snap swivel you can change them in a .....uh....snap.
I use a similar deal, but I buy the hollow core lead tube they sell in a roll. however you have to buy the neddlenose plirars that are needed to put the hole in it. it works great, but Ive lost them pliars about 1/2 dozen times (various ways)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've run plenty long leaders while fishing streamers. Like finlander said, speys and switches are one example. If I'm swinging streamers, I don't use anything shorter than 15 ft.

Out in New Brunswick., I used 25ft for Atlantics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, would the general consensus be size 4 egg hooks for salmon? I went shopping for them today and they seemed small. Also, I've seen fly fishers using 2 hooks leaving the tag end long on one of them... should I do this with my spin setup or just stick with one?

The consensus for sure tho is that treble hooks are overkill, right?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've run plenty long leaders while fishing streamers. Like finlander said, speys and switches are one example. If I'm swinging streamers, I don't use anything shorter than 15 ft.

Out in New Brunswick., I used 25ft for Atlantics.
You were lining them,don't kid yourself. I would do it ,but with full knowledge of what I was doing.

You don't need a long leader to catch biters,Period!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts