Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for some different opinons on a drift boat vs pontoon. as you may tell, by my previous post, i am looking for something to get me down the river. i do have a canoe, and a kayak, but i find them a little at a disadvantage because of how low you are to the water, however if those of you prefer them over one another, i would be anxious to hear what you have to say.

Uses: mostly michigan rivers
i dont have to many angling friends, so i dont need to haul around a ton of gear or people. (i am sure if i get a drift boat i might have more angling friends, though).
Budget: Not sure, but i know i am not going to buy a Brand New boat

let me know if i need to provide more info for you to give me your opinon.

Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
So many factors..

I have both. I use the driftboat 90% of the time because I can. I enjoy the pontoon as well but not as much as I do the db. Some rivers are just plain not conducive to boats though.

How big are the rivers that you would like to, or normally fish?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So many factors..

I have both. I use the driftboat 90% of the time because I can. I enjoy the pontoon as well but not as much as I do the db. Some rivers are just plain not conducive to boats though.

How big are the rivers that you would like to, or normally fish?

The Normal Manistee, PM, Betsie, and any others. i would like to go to the UP at some point, but i can cross that bridge when i get there (no pundt intended) i suppose i could use the canoe, kayak, or my float tube for the rivers that are not conducive to the drift boat.

Keep em coming.

·
Registered
436 Posts
For the rivers mentioned I would definitely look at a drift boat. I don't know about the rivers in the UP. There have been some really good deals over the past 6 to 12 months on used boats. If you are not in a hurry I have no doubt that one will come your way as well. For the most part it is very easy to manage the launching and retrieval of a drifter by yourself. The only place that is more difficult is at Gleason's landing on the PM. That is due solely to the distance from the river to the loading area. Most time there are other anglers available and I have never had an issue with someone not offering to help out.

Loomisfun

·
Registered
168 Posts
The pontoon seems like it would be cumbersome to manuever or even turn around on a river like the Manistee. Add to that the fact they draft 12-16" of water, I'd take the drift boat.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The pontoon seems like it would be cumbersome to manuever or even turn around on a river like the Manistee. Add to that the fact they draft 12-16" of water, I'd take the drift boat.
I had a pontoon style boat, that I sold. The craft was very similar to a drift boat in the way it was steered, but the main disadvantage was it wasn't condusive to floating and fishing at the same time. A drift boat is no different, but at least you've got the ability to take someone with you, who can man the oars. If you like to just hop from hole to hole, then a pontoon is a fine bet, but you can't really fish them very easily as you drift down the river. Both have there advantages, but after owning one, and fishing out of my buddies drift boat quite a bit, I think the drift boat is the obvious choice, especially for the rivers mentioned. Its a little pricier, but if you truly enjoy the sport, and plan to get out a lot, then the money is merely a price you'll pay to enjoy your hobby. You don't have to necessarily get a new drift boat, with the economy the way it is, keep your eyes peeled, you might find a great deal.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I have had my "Dry Fly " for a long time. I loved the boat. I put an eight foot pice of rope with a piece chain tied to it. THat lets me go downstream just a bit slower then the current.
If you can you really have to look at one of these boats. Here is the web site.
www.dryflyfloatboats.com/
Because of my health I don't fish all that much anymore. I gave the boat to my son in law. Believe me, you have to try one of these boats.:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts