Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1 man Frabill flip over shanty last year. I love it - great for pulling gear, easy to set up, plenty of room to fish out of, fits in the trunk of my Focus - but there is one issue I havent gotten over yet and I'm looking for some help for the upcoming season. When the winds blow, as often happens when in the middle of a lake, there is a contant flow of cold air the flows into the shanty. Because of the contruction, the wind always has to be at your back. This allows the air to flow in around the sled filling the shanty like a balloon. I've packed in the sides with snow and it works well, but I was wondering if anyonoe tried to modify their shanty with a draft skirt of some sort to eliminate this issue. Please post pictures if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
I have the same problem with my clam, I've given some thought to the problem but I haven't come up with a solution yet. Usually I pile up snow or ice shavings but when there isn't enough to do the job it can be a pain. I like to put my minnow bucket on one side and that will block some of the wind and I put my tackle bag on the other.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I just make a mound of ice shavings where the wind is coming in. It seems to get rid of most of it.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
I just make a mound of ice shavings where the wind is coming in. It seems to get rid of most of it.
That works well when there's enough to do that. What's a pain is fishing out of old holes and not enough snow or ice shavings to do it.

There's got to be someone here on ms.com that has a better solution.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I've heard of people using some form of weight and sewing flaps into the skirts.

One guy I saw used PVC with end caps....he filled them with water when he got setup and slid them into what looked like a sheath in the skirt.

Seemed like a lot of work to me but I've never had that big an issue with it yet.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
My Rover1.5 has a flap on each side that attatches to the sled base with velcro and does a great job of keeping the drafts down.

·
Registered
405 Posts
most flip-overs have a pocket on the bottom edge of the fabric, slid a length of chain in them. flexability of chain allows it to conform to countours of snow Don

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I will put my spud on the length of skirt outside the shanty in which the wind is blowing. Not a cure all, but helps a lot. Also, keeps the front from popping up. Two spuds,maybe?

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Its not an issue of the flap blowing around so the chain idea doesn't work to cover that particular hole. Its the overhang from the tub causing the gap.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would take my auger to hold down the front part of the shanty. Pile snow on the side ( if available ) or used minnow bucket and 5 gal bucket to hold side flaps down. Took 2x6's and made 8 in. L brackets and tuck them at each corner of your shanty tub where most of the wind came in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts