Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

DR winds

3084 Views 26 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  wallerchamon
Interested to see everybody’s opinions or personal rules on the favorable and least favorable wind direction/speeds to go jigging in. For instance I know in the south end west winds are very favorable but at the same time on the upper River west winds are not very favorable. I myself will try to go out anytime really, but the times I take my 6yr old son out I really watch the wind direction and wind speed

Just creating this so hopefully all the drama stays out and after a while we can all have a good solid basis here to return to throughout the season so everybody stays safe and has a general idea best times to go out. As well as helping noobs or people with smaller boats
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Near Belle Isle and Peche Island, West winds will cause whitecaps going against the current.
Nice part about the lower river is you can usually find a spot to duck the wind unless it’s really gusting.
East or south wind is the worst up by Alter. If it's over 15 mph wind, hesd to the Canadian side

Sent from my SM-J727V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
A strong south or south east wind down where the River enters Lake Erie can make that area very dangerous. The Lake wave pile up against the current coming down and they blow up really big. More that one boat has be overturned in those conditions, two in one day last duck season.
Anywhere in the lower river in a ENE you can find protection? Maybe hug the Grosse ile side or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A strong south or south east wind down where the River enters Lake Erie can make that area very dangerous. The Lake wave pile up against the current coming down and they blow up really big. More that one boat has be overturned in those conditions, two in one day last duck season.
That’s your best bet

Anywhere in the lower river in a ENE you can find protection? Maybe hug the Grosse ile side or something?

Heavy ene winds are just not fun. Then again, NO heavy winds are fun

Tuck in against Grosse Ile.
For sure. I hate heavy winds out of any direction. Especially in a aluminum boat sitting heavy in the water

Heavy ene winds are just not fun. Then again, NO heavy winds are fun

Tuck in against Grosse Ile.
One of the reasons I’m happy I went glass

For sure. I hate heavy winds out of any direction. Especially in a aluminum boat sitting heavy in the water

I hear ya. My next boat will be glass or tri-toon.

One of the reasons I’m happy I went glass

Would.love to have a nice 18 to 20ft glass boat. Next couple years I believe I can swing it, can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That would be a good size. My next boat I’m going to try and get exactly what I want and keep it. I rushed and got what I thought I wanted/needed in a boat, just to find myself adding so much more anyear later. Lol

Would.love to have a nice 18 to 20ft glass boat. Next couple years I believe I can swing it, can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Truth be told, all anyone needs to do is just look at a chart....to see where they might get protection, wind & waves likes to build up in wide open stretches....

A south wind off Hennipen will start to whitecap in the shipping channel at 8 mph going against the current....north winds get snotty too, I never really caught the speed though because south is much more common....

And having an Ontario license gives you options that might otherwise push you off the water....I'm not a fan of going in high winds, it turns into more work and your boat takes a beating, I fish for fun....but have caught a lot and some big fish too, even when I didn't want to go, but got talked into it !....

If I'm in a north/south stretch of river and structure, for the most part, lol....I like a N/S wind....same for E/W, but that is a lot harder to jig in general and stay on depth because the current becomes a lot more counter productive.....current & structure go hand in hand, when in aline.... wind & current can be both an enemy or a friend, that's how I see it anyway, if that makes any sense, lol....cheers....
Took a ride this morning, Alter Road and St. Jean ar both open but anyone who tried to fish the top of the river has to be crazy. The wind was blowing in the absolute wrong direction, the waves looked like they were spaced about three feet apart. If you put in at St. Jean today you could probably fish near there or all the way down to Chene Park but the water was pretty dirty. Coffee with cream dirty.
Reactions: auger
Thanks Mike, wait for better conditions!

Took a ride this morning, Alter Road and St. Jean ar both open but anyone who tried to fish the top of the river has to be crazy. The wind was blowing in the absolute wrong direction, the waves looked like they were spaced about three feet apart. If you put in at St. Jean today you could probably fish near there or all the way down to Chene Park but the water was pretty dirty. Coffee with cream dirty.
Call me if you need a rider. I need to do some repairs before I put my boat in the well.
Reactions: auger
I was out there last day of duck. It was horrible. 4:00am going between sugar and the yacht club was 4/5+ waves. In a 16’ aluminum Tiller. Thought that was going to be my day to hit the water. Double Digit south are the worst.
I will, not sure when I'm getting the big boat out. Gotra wait for above freezing nighttime temps. Soon though

Call me if you need a rider. I need to do some repairs before I put my boat in the well.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.