Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,815 Posts
i use the canadian ones, WALKER they have a double setting adjuster and very easy to use. i use fireline and mono at different times and those cannons were a pain and somewhat of a p*** poor design to say the least, they kept coming apart so i left them apart. i'll tell you one thing about the walkers though, they will not release on a lake trout unless its a hard hit. you'll see the pole start to bounce a little and its time to set the hook, don't wait for it to pop. i lost a king with them last year when i didn't change the setting back to mono after using fireline but i got a piece of king flesh off the ole jawbone on my fly.

· Registered
304 Posts
I have Walkers on 2 riggers and Rubber bands on 2, I like them both. Only problem I've ever had with the walkers, is I somehow got a knick in the surface of the release and until I got it smoothed out it tended to knick up the line. Rubberbands are pretty much fool proof, once you know how much tension to put on them, but at times they can be a pain to get to release to change baits or whatever other than a fish hitting them.

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Usd rubber bands years ago, didn't think they were still being used. Have some releases someone here sent me for use as planer board releases. Could hook those up to the cannonballs.....just holds line between some wire that has a coating. No adjustment on the tension on these. Thanks again.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
I use Black’s or the Dubro’s version of the Black’s release.

They are adjustable & don’t pinch the line. Simple make a few twists in your line, insert the release arm into the tag/loop end, & snap the arm down.

· Banned
4,704 Posts
Been running the offhosre Black releases on my riggers forever. I've used everything out on the market and nothing seems to work better for me than the offshores. If your baits are not in the water, they will not catch fish. If you use a rubber band, you send out your lead, hold onto the line while trying to find a Rubberband..... half-hitch it around the line, put in in the release.... finally ready to go down. Thats alot of steps to deal with. Using a pinch release: Send out the lead, Put it on the release..... SEND IT. Alot less steps means lines down quicker. May not seem like that much longer to use a rubberband, but times that by 4 riggers and changing baits every 10 minutes it adds up.

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw it on their site and in Bass Pro's marine catalog. Looks solid. What do you use to attach them to the cannonball? How is the tension adjusted. Catalog showed them open, website picture had them closed. Thanks.

· Registered
304 Posts
There's a small thumbscrew on the jaws that adjust tension. And if I remember correctly, you can either attach the release inline with snap swivels or you can cut the wire running through it and just run your rigger cable instead, using the beads on it also. Basically replace the piece of wire with your D.R. cable, just twist your line a few times and snap the release shut and your ready to go.

· Banned
4,704 Posts
Downside to this type release is "shaker detection". The pinch pads I use will let the rod tip wiggle if there is a fish that is too small to trip the release. How many of you have trolled for 30 minutes without checking a line and found an 8" king stuck on your moonshine?

· Registered
2,095 Posts
SalmonBum said:
Downside to this type release is "shaker detection". quote]

Don't forget that you can adjust the release tension on a Black's & I've heard fellow trollers use rubberbands with this release also. Tag end loop of the cinched rubberband is inserted in the release.

· Banned
4,704 Posts
syonker said:
Don't forget that you can adjust the release tension on a Black's & I've heard fellow trollers use rubberbands with this release also. Tag end loop of the cinched rubberband is inserted in the release.
yeah, I've seen guys do that to. I use a 8-10" lead off my Offshoer pinch releases and I haven't found anything that shows shakers like it.

· Registered
4,161 Posts
I put 14" 50lb crimped mono leads on the Pro Releases the other day. I, like Bill, used longer leads on my offshores prior to this year. Makes a huge difference noticing small fish, but also rigging, as you are not fighting the ball and gravity while trying to put the line in. You can handle the release with the ball swinging free.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
If you want to see shakers, run a light snubber between the ball and the release.

While we're on the subject, my brother bought some releases over 10 years ago that are the greatest things I've ever used. The are black and the pinch pads has a triangular shape, They came in various tensions and said "Salmon" or "Walleye" depending on the tension. He bought them at the Silver dome show. I've never seen them for sale since the show. The ones I use now are still working like new. But I sure would like some replacements.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? :lol:
Brand name?
Ever seen them before?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.