Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about ordering some Dr Deer Pear trees. Does anyone have pics or results you would like to share? I'm also interested in comparing them to other pear trees you may have.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering some Dr Deer Pear trees. Does anyone have pics or results you would like to share? I'm also interested in comparing them to other pear trees you may have.
No experience, but I think Rural King had them in inventory last year, if that helps at all.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've planted them for two years now (since they came out), along with chestnut and persimmon from Dunstan Hill. Gotta say that I'm shocked at how fast they grow! I've got around 2,500 trees that I've planted, mostly conifers of course, but I've never planted anything that grew as fast.

In fact just this week I was walking the dogs and looked at the older ones again. I had three trees that actually produced fruit last fall and one still had fruit. Now I'm peeved, I thought about taking my phone out to take some pics but figured who the heck am I going to show them to? Sorry.

Just an FYI... I sell these trees each year and will be exhibiting in Novi next weekend. I'll have a sample of each in the booth along with order forms. Could email the form too if your interested but won't be attending Outdoorama.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Went out yesterday and took some pics of the Dr. Deer. Left to right is one year in the ground, two and then three. These are 5' grow tubes for scale.
pear-combo.jpg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Have a couple that produced fruit last fall in their third year, this one is still holding.
3-yo-pear-fruit.jpg low-rez-pear.jpg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't keep meticulous records as others surely do. I think this is a Bartlett pear that's been in the ground at least 5 years longer than the Dr. Deer. Although it's substantially larger it just bore fruit for the first time last fall and only a handful at that. Again, for scale, that's the fruit bearing Dr. Deer to the left of it and a 4' fence around the more mature tree.
low-rez.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts