Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going out thursday, and i dont really feel liek walleye fishing. was wondering if anyone could reccomend any good spots to cast for bass and pike/panfish. also where would be the best launch to go out of, are they still really corwded?..... thanks for the info, Chris.

·
Registered
171 Posts
try any rocky shallow areas, and eddies with slack water. fish the current that flows around them. shiners are moving up and bass just go nuts. also they are starting to come in to spawn, so you should get some nice footballs.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
The bass season is closed on the river right now.....Of course, the pike season is open, so if you go pike fishing and happened to get a couple dozen nice smallies....;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wasnt even aware the season was closed right now, i must have read the dnr website wrong. i am still interested in pike and panfish so if anyone can send some more info that would be great,

·
Registered
555 Posts
Catch and Release Bass fishing is open right now, you just can't keep em until the Saturday before Memorial Day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oh yeah sorry It is Catch and release until the 3rd saturday in June for the Detroit River, my mistake.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats what i thought too but im not one to argue against any laws haha... anyways im not fishing to keep smallies, i just love catching them. any other tips and techniques anyone can give besides jigging the main river. i really have no idea of any spots on the river to cast, so any info is awesome.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Go to brest bay in lk erie and fish 6 to 10 feet of water with a carolina rigged tube (green pumpkin). If you feel gravel or rocks your in the right spot. Keep moving till you find gravel, most of the bay in these depths is good. Youll catch all the smallies you want, ALLDAY! GL

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
On the north west side of crystal bay there is an opening that goes to the hidden lake cast craw-dad's into that area and you should come up with some small mouths. I am not sure if it is american or canadian.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any more tips.. was thinking about trying tubes also. what would be the best way to rig a tube for the river?... both shallow and deep. going to gander mountain here in a few to pick up some new stuff.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Bruce William said:
On the north west side of crystal bay there is an opening that goes to the hidden lake cast craw-dad's into that area and you should come up with some small mouths. I am not sure if it is american or canadian.
That's barely in Canada. We usually fish the other side of the bay for bass and pike, which we did today. So far this season, only smaller largies with an occasional nice one, and caught one nice smallie. Also got into some pike last week. Still early for the smallies, they REALLY get going in June, you get some HOGS going up on their beds, some of these are like 5-6+lbs. We have also caught some bigger bluegill, and the perch also go up there sometimes. That area you are talking about is also a nice spot, that whole entrance. It gets a bit too weed choked though in summer to fish it.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Can't Touch This said:
That's barely in Canada. We usually fish the other side of the bay for bass and pike, which we did today. So far this season, only smaller largies with an occasional nice one, and caught one nice smallie. Also got into some pike last week. Still early for the smallies, they REALLY get going in June, you get some HOGS going up on their beds, some of these are like 5-6+lbs. We have also caught some bigger bluegill, and the perch also go up there sometimes. That area you are talking about is also a nice spot, that whole entrance. It gets a bit too weed choked though in summer to fish it.

I would cast over to the other side of the hole then let the current take the crayfish though the break in the wall and down into about a 10 ft drop off where the smallies sit waiting for a meal. When you hook them they rocket straight up sometimes up to 5 ft out of the water it is a riot. You will catch 2 or 3 then you must move on and let it settle down.

Anything going on for perch around the crossdike area?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Bruce William said:
I would cast over to the other side of the hole then let the current take the crayfish though the break in the wall and down into about a 10 ft drop off where the smallies sit waiting for a meal. When you hook them they rocket straight up sometimes up to 5 ft out of the water it is a riot. You will catch 2 or 3 then you must move on and let it settle down.

Anything going on for perch around the crossdike area?
hAven't gone for perch in about 3 weeks, last time we were there, the jumbos were on, only a few perch were under 10. I would think they are still there and by the HITW, at least until June.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts