Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
The Wildlife Conservation Order should be stated in the Hunters Digest, not just a reference. I think this is part of being an ethical and safe hunter. Using a knife is not safe and can have disastrous results. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer.
CoWalSki

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
"Kill shots from the onset gentlemen, kill shots from the onset, nothing suffers, no one gets hurt. End of story." I am positive all of us plan for the best - but the best does not always happen. Shot a deer with my bow this year that turned just as I pulled the trigger release - only got one lung and he died within 10 seconds - but, two inches more and I would have been looking for a deer many hours later that was only gut shot. North of 100 deer taken and have only had one I had to shoot while alive with my bow and one while using my muzzy.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Knives work fine. You just need to know how to use them. I'm not nocking anyone, just that not many people are trained in real style knife tactical use.

I watched a deer that was hit by a car chase a guy around a field for a bit as he tried to finish off the deer with his knife (a k-bar). BTW he was ex military and he didn't know. I took his knife from him and it took me less than 20 seconds. Not that I am smarter or faster. I can guarantee you that I wasn't. Just that I knew how from training. Killing with a knife is just a learned discipline..
I got to thinking about it, and throwing the knife might be much safer.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
"Devils advocate here: so you bring the things that you need to assemble a weapon?":ROFLMAO: I was not a part of that fiasco. 8 point in a cattail swamp with lots of water. My buddies son dang near got gored when he went to cut its throat with a knife. Their solution was to take the knife, lash it to a stick and stab it to death. Most deer I hit end up in the thickest crap they can find and I don't typically carry a weapon through that stufff in the dark. The bow shot buck was in the daylight just before noon. The muzzy one was down but not totally out and it was about 15 minutes before the end of shooting light. Hate seeing the deer suffer and since I had an over/under muzzy, I finished it with the last round since I had to clean the gun anyways.

·
Registered
14,557 Posts
Sounds like some of ya's need to be tougher..
Thankfully I've never had to but I've seen my buddy do it twice and his dad do it once. A knife to the heart, lungs.... People do it wrong and go for the kneck.

You have to control the animal by the head. Stab them in the heart-lungs while YOU control them. Yes, they're strong, yes they're wild but we were once too ;) top of the food chain and have to have that attitude when going in.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
"Devils advocate here: so you bring the things that you need to assemble a weapon?":ROFLMAO: I was not a part of that fiasco. 8 point in a cattail swamp with lots of water. My buddies son dang near got gored when he went to cut its throat with a knife. Their solution was to take the knife, lash it to a stick and stab it to death. Most deer I hit end up in the thickest crap they can find and I don't typically carry a weapon through that stufff in the dark. The bow shot buck was in the daylight just before noon. The muzzy one was down but not totally out and it was about 15 minutes before the end of shooting light. Hate seeing the deer suffer and since I had an over/under muzzy, I finished it with the last round since I had to clean the gun anyways.
My take on this thread is I will just keep doing what I’m doing, taking a weapon most everywhere I go whether tracking a deer or tracking a gallon of milk. 😂😂

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thankfully I've never had to but I've seen my buddy do it twice and his dad do it once. A knife to the heart, lungs.... People do it wrong and go for the kneck.

You have to control the animal by the head. Stab them in the heart-lungs while YOU control them. Yes, they're strong, yes they're wild but we were once too ;) top of the food chain and have to have that attitude when going in.
I bet a 220 lb deer could throw you across the room, hold on bucko!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

Exactly how it's done. 👍

·
Registered
20,344 Posts
Probably now since my crippled ass legs won't help but maybe not. These deer weren't anywhere near 220#s these guy's handled but I'd like too think I'd win ;)
Former co-workers brother in a chair killed , (well severely injured ) a big tom.
When the mobile brother showed up ,the shooter was trying to break the birds neck with a wheel atop it.
Alas , the ground was soft...

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
There are no guaranteed kill shots.
Really, If your are capable of putting a Bullitt exactly where you want to, in any scenario. And you know exactly where to put it in order to make a clean (guaranteed) kill shot ? Then guaranteeing your shot should not be a problem, should it?

101 - 120 of 147 Posts