Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My Gramps told a story similar to this. The deer was running by and he jumped on it and took it out with his knife.
I watched a guy try and cut the throat of a wounded buck and the buck jumped up and literally threw the guy almost 6 feet through the air. Lucky he was not seriously injured.

·
40,032 Posts
I watched a guy try and cut the throat of a wounded buck and the buck jumped up and literally threw the guy almost 6 feet through the air. Lucky he was not seriously injured.
I've only seen it done if they already had a broken back.

If I recall correctly, the buck my Gramps jumped on was a spike. Deer are strong but at the age he did this, gramps was a ripped/athletic dude. I wouldn't do it!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Sureshot, the right place to click was General Hunting and Trapping Regulations. I'm sooo confused. I think we're good.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Jake, you weren't there and no way was I going to ruin most of the meat . I knew whose deer it was and they needed every bit of it.
Yes I would...I am a sportsman that has respect for the animal. Now you can quit the pssn match....you are the one that took 1.5 hours to do what should take ALOT less time.....not me.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've only seen it done if they already had a broken back.

If I recall correctly, the buck my Gramps jumped on was a spike. Deer are strong but at the age he did this, gramps was a ripped/athletic dude. I wouldn't do it!
This deer was shot on a deer drive. Several of us gathered around this wounded deer lying on the ground which appeared to be barely alive.This guy goes to cut throat and get tossed like a rag doll. Deer try’s to crawl and scrape his face across the road only to be shot all to hell again by a couple of guys standing around us. Pretty sure that was my last deer drive.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I clubbed one to death. Long story short, left my bow behind, it was dark, took a walk home in the direction he ran, no blood trail. (going through neighbors property I'd never been on. Pretty thick, why I didn't want to carry the bow. Didn't think I'd see anything) Found him very much alive. 10 min standoff, on his belly looking at each other with knife in hand. Wishing it was a sword. Also wished I'd have kept the damn bow. Find stout branch 6' long. Club him but good right between the 1.5 set of antlers. He rises and lets out a blood curdling scream. Lucky he didn't charge. Lays back down and I start swinging at the back of his neck. After 3-4 very good blows he gives it up, exhales and his head goes down. Hit him about 382 more times to be sure. First bow buck lol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
First bow buck lol.
Holy crap! Lol. Not the least bit envious but that’s a story.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t always made the best decisions in life, but after hearing a few of these I can certainly recall where I made one.

One of the first couple years I hunted, shot a small buck at my uncles place that ran onto prison property after a low single lung shot. *side note, only deer I’ve seen make it more than 20yds after being hit with a 12ga lightfield… wish they still made those. Anyway, we get down, go in, talk about the situation and come up with a plan. Firearms on prison property are a felony so those get left behind and off we go. *edited to add the actual prison is a few miles away, and the parcel had abandoned building, and crops… Not like we’re walking up to the fence lol.

Make it down over the hill, and creep into the thick creek bottom. Doesn’t take long and I see the buck across the narrow creek. I turn to my cousin and say “umm I see him, he’s looking right at me”, he responds “is he dead?, “no, that’s why I said he looking at me”. We exchange a couple of hushed curse words and after a few minutes staring at the buck, I turn back to him and he’s holding out a knife which, in the garage, one would have thought would be adequate for the job, but there, in the field, seemed quite small. Reluctantly I took the knife and after a few breaths took two steps forward to cross the creek. The buck gets up and takes a staggering bound and step or two, and stops. I IMMEDIATELY turned around, handed my cousin the knife back and said “nope, we’ll come back in a couple hours”.

We came back and he was dead 8-10 feet from where he stopped.

I wouldn’t willingly dispatch an animal with a knife that wasn’t hanging upside down after a 22 between the eyes. If I had to do it over again, I’d take the weapon I originally shot it with and finish the job as humanely and quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I was a boxer in college, soooo…I’d be using a gun.
I’d rather take my chances in court explaining my side than to be eviscerated or worse.
A quick, clean ending beats fighting a wounded animal hand to hoof (I’d probably win, just not worth the chance of injury or worse, risking my undefeated boxing record 🙄).
you think you’d win against a deer? … I’ll take that bet every day. Deer wins hand down every day all day!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I have done two neck slices in my time, and always was worried out doing it. How my dad taught me to do it.
as I age I won't do it any more. at night tracking I have a side arm with me, and if I did come up to a live deer I would use it.
if I recall a license dog tracker can do that during any season. just not the hunter.
I could be wrong that was a while ago that I read that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have literally choked one out before. Not really proud of it and don't know if it is legal or not...

I think the legal answer is let them lay til morning.
Did the same thing to a car hit doe. Closed up her mouth and shoved my fingers in her nostrils. Sucked to do for sure and not easy to hang on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
no offense to any previous post.
common sense and logic.
we are adults, do what is right, no one wants to see an animal suffer.
finish as quickly and safely as possible with what you have at hand.
for me it is a xbow or gun.
last thing we need is the government telling us how to do something.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Another story but true. My job is out in the sticks and I hate to see dead deer lying on the side of the road. On my way to work one morning there was a fresh road kill 1/4 mile from our work. We own property right across from it . My boss was plowing snow when I arrived so I asked him to take me down to pick up deer out of road. I reached down to pick up deer and it started to kick. Surprised the hell out of me. Didn't have any type of weapon to dispatch and only option was a hammer in the front seat of bosses truck. Great way to start the day by beating a deer to death.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another story but true. My job is out in the sticks and I hate to see dead deer lying on the side of the road. On my way to work one morning there was a fresh road kill 1/4 mile from our work. We own property right across from it . My boss was plowing snow when I arrived so I asked him to take me down to pick up deer out of road. I reached down to pick up deer and it started to kick. Surprised the hell out of me. Didn't have any type of weapon to dispatch and only option was a hammer in the front seat of bosses truck. Great way to start the day by beating a deer to death.
I can only imagine if somebody was driving by watching that not knowing what happened. The expression on their face would have been priceless.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I can only imagine if somebody was driving by watching that not knowing what happened. The expression on their face would have been priceless.
Oh holy hell that is another story. Same place of employment. Was told there was a sick kitten in parking lot. Investigated and sure enough there was. I could tell it was beyond saving. Grabbed a shovel from truck and went to poor kitten. I looked around and smacked on head to dispatch. Heard screaming from office building next to parking lot. Did not expect several women watching me from inside! Boy wasn’t I a cold hearted SOB!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Received the following from the Calhoun County CO:

WCO 2.5(7) covers the use of weapons to dispatch an animal after legal hunting hours. It is permissible as long as the weapon is loaded "only at the time & point of kill."

Here's the WCO again....

Subject to MCL 324.43510, (2) and (3), except during the hunting hours specified in this section and as otherwise provided by subsection (2), a person shall not possess afield a firearm unless it is unloaded in the barrel, or crossbow or a bow and arrow unless all arrows and bolts are placed in a quiver. A person may, to comply with section 4.1(2), kill a down and mortally wounded deer, bear, or elk using an otherwise legal means and may possess a loaded firearm, a cocked crossbow, or bow with nocked arrow only at the time and at the point of kill

Now we have the facts. This has been in affect since around 1993. DO NOT USE A KNIFE. Bad things can happen IMO.
Take care and be safe out there
CoWalSki

·
Registered
19,553 Posts
Now we have the facts. This has been in affect since around 1993. DO NOT USE A KNIFE. ......
My memory is likely wrong, but in my mind this rule change happened about the same time we could legally start using dogs on a leash to recover downed deer which sometimes would be alive.
Many times rule changes only occur after the DNR realizes what hunters are doing illegally is actually the smartest and safest thing to do in the first place.
Examples:
-using a dog on a leash to track downed deer.
-using a legal weapon at night to finish the job if the deer is down, but not dead.
-gun hunting from an elevated stand/blind.

There are other examples.

L & O

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wait, can’t one finish a deer with said device when they are being tracked by a dog? To me this is no difference.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts