Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member of our hunting party shot a doe 10 minutes before shooting time ended yesterday. After 1 1/2 hrs tracking through a swamp into some woods they found her, down but still alive. Tried to dispatch with a knife. End result, 3" cut and deep running up his wrist. Surgey lasted almost 2hrs. Sliced artery which was repairable but lost a ligament. Luckily his hunting partner knew how to apply a tourniquet properly. Probably saved his life.

Contacted the DNR today for clarification on this situation.
No, can't use a firearm
No, can't use a xbow
No, you can't use a carry firearm if you have A CPL. Firearm can only be drawn to protect yourself.
This a dangerous situation. I have known hunters that came out on the short end trying to put the deer out of it's misery. Wanted to ask the forum how you would handle this situation. Remember it's after shooting hours.
Take care and be safe out there
CoWalSki

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While discussing what to do I asked my buddy, whose land we were hunting, if he had a ball bat. He didn't and we laughed a bit thinking that was stupid, but I guess not. Ended up they could have knocked her out then finish the job with a knife. I put an aluminum bat in the truck today. I'm too old for wrestling a deer with a razor sharp knife. Anyways, I usually drop them where they stand. Lol

SS... you had to set a record for that response. Never had a post that received a response that quick. Good job.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
(7) below is from the Wildlife Conservation Order section 2.5 dealing with hunting hours and exceptions.

(7) Subject to MCL 324.43510, (2) and (3), except during the hunting hours specified in this section and as otherwise provided by subsection (2), a person shall not possess afield a firearm unless it is unloaded in the barrel, or crossbow or a bow and arrow unless all arrows and bolts are placed in a quiver. A person may, to comply with section 4.1(2), kill a down and mortally wounded deer, bear, or elk using an otherwise legal means and may possess a loaded firearm, a cocked crossbow, or bow with nocked arrow only at the time and at the point of kill. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subsection, a person hunting under the authority of a wild turkey license during the spring wild turkey season may load and carry a loaded firearm afield while going to their hunting stand up to one hour prior to the spring wild turkey hunting hours.

Where/who did you call about this? I'm not a lawyer but it appears you may have received incorrect information. You might want to try again and ask about the above. I think this is kind of new.

·
Registered
19,540 Posts
(7) below is from the Wildlife Conservation Order section 2.5 dealing with hunting hours and exceptions.

(7) Subject to MCL 324.43510, (2) and (3), except during the hunting hours specified in this section and as otherwise provided by subsection (2), a person shall not possess afield a firearm unless it is unloaded in the barrel, or crossbow or a bow and arrow unless all arrows and bolts are placed in a quiver. A person may, to comply with section 4.1(2), kill a down and mortally wounded deer, bear, or elk using an otherwise legal means and may possess a loaded firearm, a cocked crossbow, or bow with nocked arrow only at the time and at the point of kill. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subsection, a person hunting under the authority of a wild turkey license during the spring wild turkey season may load and carry a loaded firearm afield while going to their hunting stand up to one hour prior to the spring wild turkey hunting hours.
Thank you for posting this, we have had this discussion in the past.
It's crazy that this rule has not been in place for 75 years or more. I think that you are correct and that this rule was written not so long ago. Do the right thing safely, use a bow/crossbow or gun.

L & O

Reactions: Sam22

·
Premium Member
11,720 Posts

Where/who did you call about this? I'm not a lawyer but it appears you may have received incorrect information. You might want to try again and ask about the above. I think this is kind of new.
I ve said this many time on here. Do t call a biologist for legal questions. They may have some knowledge but it might not be the law. You want something about a fish or game law then make sure you are speaking to the law enforcement division of the DNR. Each district has a LT in charge who will get back to you if they don’t answer the phone Use their email They are pretty good about responding from my experience.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I contacted the Plainwell office. Don't know the qualifications of the person I talked to but they put me on hold while finding the answer. I will be making another call today. Update to follow. Appreciate the info Brook.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
I ve said this many time on here. Do t call a biologist for legal questions. They may have some knowledge but it might not be the law. You want something about a fish or game law then make sure you are speaking to the law enforcement division of the DNR. Each district has a LT in charge who will get back to you if they don’t answer the phone Use their email They are pretty good about responding from my experience.
The biologists might know the law better.... better chance he went to college and can comprehend legal definitions. Not always the case with an LEO. All the law enforcement guys I know are not highly educated.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

Who at the DNR did you talk to? The person that answers the phone or an actual CO? If it was a CO I would find out who the Lt. is for the area and have him bring his CO'S up to speed. This has happened more than once to me, and what I've found is that the CO relays their interpretation of the Law, rather than looking up the MCL.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Who at the DNR did you talk to? The person that answers the phone or an actual CO? If it was a CO I would find out who the Lt. is for the area and have him bring his CO'S up to speed. This has happened more than once to me, and what I've found is that the CO relays their interpretation of the Law, rather than looking up the MCL.
Are you asking me? This isn't my thread. I just posted the Wildlife Conservation Order for the thread starter to follow up.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I’ve finished & seen others finish off wounded deer at night with firearm & bow. I’ve known that was legal forever. There are times you can adjudge that the deer is nearly dead and sit down a bit away to let it die in peace (so to speak) but not always. I’m not gonna touch a wounded deer to finish the job.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts