Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What foreseeable issue would there be with running them off the front of boat?
I have run them off the front with no issue. I typically run a heavier weight off my down rods than my boards. I have run down rods off front and back at the same time with the front ones having a heavier weight.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
put your main motor in gear so the prop won't spin. This will stop you from wrapping in main prop. If your boat gets squirelly on ya...and its a new boat to you so its gonna happen sometime...that line ends up trailing under you in a place you really don't want it to be.

Not so much of a problem with 3oz bouncers on the bay, but I have done this while splitshot drifting harnessess on holloway, learned my lesson quickly.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I have a 16 1/2 lund. I run 4 oz BB up front with my down rods. I never had any problems yet. I like the idea of putting to motor in gear.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Maybe I am missing something? How do you get the rod tip up and over the board rod lines once a fish hits??

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
My front down rods are 7' 6" i just net the fish off the conner of my boat. Once the fish is in the net just let out a little line unhook the fish then you can pass the rod under the other rods or just let some line over the side and real it back in under your other rods. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
29,953 Posts
What foreseeable issue would there be with running them off the front of boat?
Chad, if your running a bowmount elec., you should have no problems. Bring fish up to side of boat and net ahead of trees as mentioned. I've had mine in the past get tangled about 3 different times in my prop running fireline and 3 oz. bouncers, so quit doing it. I just run them off the holder right behind the tree now.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Compare/contrast down rods to stern planers please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts