Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Never happen!! I do have 1 or 2 old licenses with the stamp that was required. As hunters we are to fractured and will not
support each other. Lack of support as a group ( all hunters) allowed the easy defeat of this season. A better try would be Sandhill's
as they are not at back yard feeders.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Never happen!! I do have 1 or 2 old licenses with the stamp that was required. As hunters we are to fractured and will not
support each other. Lack of support as a group ( all hunters) allowed the easy defeat of this season. A better try would be Sandhill's
Isn't it illegal in the LP to have bird feeders where deer have access to? Just curious.

Also with proposal G if I remember correctly after it passed it should not make a difference. Don't get me wrong Sandhill cranes, mute swans and cormorants IMO should have seasons on them. Unfortunately being migratory they would require federal or US fish and wildlife approval/red tape.

Just curious since it passed, how many species bird or animal has been added to legally able to hunt and or use hunting as a game management tool? It gives an eye-opener to how useless either it being passed or our NRC/DNR.
I would like to see mourning doves have a season in Michigan but doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime. Another issue if they ever do is it going to be just a few southern counties or the entire state? I believe that was the downfall why it got shot down it had preference and actually pitted area hunters against it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
There was a season but then they brought it up to a statewide vote and shot it down.

Reactions: multibeard

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Yep hunters are the worst i know a few that voted AGAINST IT. Just like the Sunday hunting here in Lenawee county you would be surprised on how many hunters voted against allowing Sunday hunting!

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
Isn't it illegal in the LP to have bird feeders where deer have access to? Just curious.

Also with proposal G if I remember correctly after it passed it should not make a difference. Don't get me wrong Sandhill cranes, mute swans and cormorants IMO should have seasons on them. Unfortunately being migratory they would require federal or US fish and wildlife approval/red tape.

House Bill 4088 was vetoed a week ago today.

As for Sandhills cranes there are open seasons in our Flyway. Our problem is with the DNR/NRC not the Feds.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yep hunters are the worst i know a few that voted AGAINST IT. Just like the Sunday hunting here in Lenawee county you would be surprised on how many hunters voted against allowing Sunday hunting!
That's because the Sunday hunting law applied to gun hunting only so some bow hunters were all for it. As if it wasn't enough they get five times as long of a season as gun hunters these trash wanted the 2-3 Sundays during gun season too.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
House Bill 4088 was vetoed a week ago today.

As for Sandhills cranes there are open seasons in our Flyway. Our problem is with the DNR/NRC not the Feds.
The problem is not with the DNR / NRC, it is with the legislation. The DNR's hands are tied until the cranes are put on the game animal list by the legislation.

·
Registered
19,397 Posts
Why don't we have a season? I see there was talk about it in the early 00's.
Had the DNR considered the dove a game animal and included doves in the early hunting regulations 100+ years ago or at any other up through about 1980, we would likely have a dove season now. They did not so we do not.
Is it possible that a statewide vote could have overturned a dove hunting season had dove hunting been established for decades.....sure it's possible but has any game animal been removed from game laws in Michigan that isn't considered endangered ?
As mentioned, we did have 1 season of dove hunting in Michigan about 10 years ago. The bottom row of Michigan counties as I recall. A Google search will provide the details. That fall during the Nov. elections the people of Michigan overwhelmingly decided that the dove is not a game bird in Michigan even if it is in a number of states.
We do have way too many geese, get out there and fill a few daily limits.
I think eventually Sandhills will be a considered a game bird.

L & O

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Too many hunters voted against it or just don't vote! The anti-hunters were everywhere all over the Detroit Metro area with their stupid petions! Dove hunting would be an excellent way to get kids into the outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
Because so called sportsman like @Oh-yeah looked at their bird feeders then stabbed us in the back.

I mean I don't think shooting a treed bear is very sporting, not could I ever trap a bob cat, but I'm not going to vote against either.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
20 million doves are harvested every year across 42 states.More than any other game by numbers and the population is growing.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hey, at least it cost the Californian Human Society a million dollars to spread their lies!

Reactions: SteelSearchin

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I don't and anyone I know. Individual humane society branches do perform a real service despite parent organization lobbying.

Reactions: Josh R

·
Registered
965 Posts
"sportsman" actually screwed themselves a 2nd time on the dove the issue - Thank you MUCC! In 2013-14 in an effort to push through a wolf season, MUCC pushed a so called "sportsman's initiative" through via the signature process. Said that the NRC has the ability (not just the legislature) to add-remove species to our game list following sound science practices and input from concerned citizens and the DNR. MUCC was sooo afraid not to have any opposition to the initiative they included a "mumbo-jumbo" paragraph about it not including any species that had previously been up for a vote on referendum . . . blah, blah blah. Since the "sportsman's initiative got enough signatures and passed, we now have a situation in Michigan where all species in Michigan (with the exception of mourning doves) can be added - removed and have new seasons initiated by the NRC. IMO - That paragraph was a "cop out" and didn't need to be in there.

Yep, every state west of New England has a dove season. In Michigan it would require a new bill be passed by the house, the senate and signed by the gov. Keep in mind that Big Gretch was the leader of the opposition when it passed the legislature the first time. I don't ever expect to see it again in my life time. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
I grew up dove hunting in Georgia and miss it bad. I hope Michigan comes to their senses on this one day.

My first job on the hunts as a preteen was picking up the birds the men shot. I used a wheelbarrow and this "work" was passed down to the younger kids after they let me shoot.

They sure taste great!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
The problem is not with the DNR / NRC, it is with the legislation. The DNR's hands are tied until the cranes are put on the game animal list by the legislation.
Actually Cranes are in the hands of the NRC / DNR. The initiative I referenced above gives the power to the NRC on every species with the exception of mourning doves. A crane season would not require the legislatures approval.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
So here's always been my beef with the way the dove laws are written. Pigeons and doves are the same bird. They're called differently based on where they live. Basically, a city dove is a pigeon even though really, they're all doves. So, if you apply the law as it's written, we have a year-round dove season. The law states that "feral pigeons" can be hunted all year so as I read it, considering that feral means wild, I think you could win that court case easily.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 47 Posts