Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point is a "double" really not a double? Meaning this...you are out in your favorite cover and up goes grouse 1. You take a shot and knock it down...grouse 2 does not flush prior to or from the shot (like a report pair would at the range) and you begin to drop the gun down and up goes grouse 2. You shoot, grouse drops and there's 2 birds. Is this a double? If not, at what point is a "double" not a double?

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
IMO a true double is when both birds are in the air before you fire the first shot.

They do not have to flush at the exact same time but both must be in the air before you shoot:

If birdA flushes you shoot and at the sound of the shot birdB flushes, that would be a report pair.

I have one true double in my life on Pheasants! My brother as a witness.

Steelsearchin the double master - with a pump gun no less!:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
IMO a true double is when both birds are in the air before you fire the first shot.
Yep.

That being said IF I ever shoot a report pair or two birds before reloading, you can bet your sweet arse I'd be reporting here on the internet that I shot a double. :lol:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Steelheadfred said:

They do not have to flush at the exact same time but both must be in the air before you shoot:

If birdA flushes you shoot and at the sound of the shot birdB flushes, that would be a report pair.

I have one true double in my life on Pheasants! My brother as a witness.

Steelsearchin the double master - with a pump gun no less!:)
Both birds have to be in the air!

To bad we all cant be like the master Steelsearchin, he is my hero! :lol:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Duece22 said:
To bad we all cant be like the master Steelsearchin, he is my hero! :lol:
You're just jealous I have to call your for steely reports all the time. ;) In all fairness, the wood duck double was shot with my luke skywalker gun- not the pump. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have had one true double with grouse. Second year hunting and everytime I walk by the spot I have a smile on my face. I did have a report pair double this year with pheasant. The great thing was the guy that I was hunting with had one at the same time. Six roosters each getting up one after the other. After the shooting we just stood there in disbelief. My hunting partner had a pump and he could have gotten a third bird!

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I've had one true double on grouse, it was last year on December 29th.

Both birds flushed together, luckily my attention was drawn to the more difficult of the two shots first, the second bird came back at me and to the left into a clearing of sorts.
Probably about 25 years before I get so lucky again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I got my first double two seasons ago. I was working a young dog that I just finished breaking. I took him out and he pinned a brood, when I walked in 3 birds took flight. I seen the first bird drop but not the second one. I picked up the first bird, went back to the dog and released him, he went right to the second bird and pointed dead. What a great day it was.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Double Gun said:
Probably never happen again. Really was something to see!
I saw it in a full eruption about five years ago. It would have been a lot easier if they were coming up in singles. For a beginner wild pheasant hunter that I was it was quite suprise, especially when your dad and older brother tell you there arent many wild pheasants left in Michigan. Either way its good to see the birds and killing them is eve better.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Double Gun said:
I have had a ton of birds get up at one time in Iowa. Never seen them get up one at a time like that.
Yeah we got into some spots out west that would blow your mind. Some birds in range but when the group gets up at the end of the field they are usually out of gun range but a hell of site.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ruffed Grouse are one of the few birds I've never had a "true" double on, I've had a couple of "report pairs". I have had doubles on Pheasant, Woodcock, Huns, Sharptail, Chukars, Doves & Quail, though. It's been a number of years since I've even had a chance for a double on Ruffs. I did see a guy triple on Quail with a pump - that was pretty impressive.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zeboy said:
Ruffed Grouse are one of the few birds I've never had a "true" double on, I've had a couple of "report pairs". I have had doubles on Pheasant, Woodcock, Huns, Sharptail, Chukars, Doves & Quail, though. It's been a number of years since I've even had a chance for a double on Ruffs. I did see a guy triple on Quail with a pump - that was pretty impressive.
A triple...that is impressive. Be something to see that. I can't image too many people have hit triples....let alone a "true" triple.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
I just want to also add - IMO pass shot's do not count as doubles, nor do doubles while hunting on a preserve!
I had a buddy positioned at the end of a berry patch while the dogs and other guys pushed it similar to a pheasant drive. Without moving his feet, he shot 4 grouse in 30 seconds. The first three were all airborne at the same time and his auto worked fine. He dumped those and a quickly reloaded to get his 4th.

Does that count as a triple or did he cheat by being the blocker AND using an auto?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts