Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't there a law requiring a double fence on all deer enclosures? A 4 foot space in between the fences. This would eliminate contact with wild deer.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The Sanctuary did it top protect their deer after the TB scare....pretty large investment, both in their facility and in the fence alone. There action was completely voluntary. Would not be a bad law though imo.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
The bottom line is that captive cervid facilities pose an unreasonable threat to one of Michigan most valuable natural resources and need to be closed down and made illegal.

Here is an article from Wisconsin that was written two years after CWD had been found and deer were still escaping from captive facilities.:rolleyes:

"Fences around captive facilities have not kept deer from getting loose in the past. During inspections, the DNR last year found that 436 deer had escaped from Wisconsin deer farms and that one-third of the 550 farms had reported an escape at one time or another."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=202694

·
Registered
371 Posts
The bottom line is that captive cervid facilities pose an unreasonable threat to one of Michigan most valuable natural resources and need to be closed down and made illegal.

Here is an article from Wisconsin that was written two years after CWD had been found and deer were still escaping from captive facilities.:rolleyes:

"Fences around captive facilities have not kept deer from getting loose in the past. During inspections, the DNR last year found that 436 deer had escaped from Wisconsin deer farms and that one-third of the 550 farms had reported an escape at one time or another."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=202694
agreed, and those are just the ones reported.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
And lose another $1,000,000,000+ industry in MI. Great Idea...:lol:
Please backup that $$$ amount. I need to see some proof of that level of economic activity.

Are you suggesting that we ignore the health of the wild deer resource and potentially a public health issue simply because of some "pie in the sky
"economic activity??? Great idea . . . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dan

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
great idea gills, I would go further and suggest a mandatory 6 foot higher fence around the first with a minimum 6-8 ft in between and a top section of 3-4 feet leaning in at a 45 angle. too much at stake as most of you have said, if they want the money they should pay the price to protect the wild herd.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
How about the dnr & mda makes them do the double fence deal, I thinks it's a great idea. Then maybe the baiters would quit bitching because they see the ranchers are doing there part.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
And lose another $1,000,000,000+ industry in MI. Great Idea...:lol:
Gee Dan, maybe we should legalize Meth labs, just think of the economic boom that it would add to the economy. No worries about the threat to human health and the environment, after all business is business. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Gee Dan, maybe we should legalize Meth labs, just think of the economic boom that it would add to the economy. No worries about the threat to human health and the environment, after all business is business. :rolleyes:
I'm not Dan...I'm younger and better looking. :lol:

That is a slippery slope argument.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Please backup that $$$ amount. I need to see some proof of that level of economic activity.

Are you suggesting that we ignore the health of the wild deer resource and potentially a public health issue simply because of some "pie in the sky
"economic activity??? Great idea . . . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dan
I'll dig them up...it was from the meeting that the MDA had with the NRC as soon as the positive deer was found. Give me a day or so...

Not banning High fence operations is not "ignoring the health of the wild deer resource." What I am suggesting is that a) with an impact that large on the economy there are bound to be lobbyists with very fat pockets. b) the MDA would have no part of it. and c) MI can't afford losing anymore resources than it currently has.

You are suggesting throw out the entire batch of apples when it's been proven that only one (many members of the deer farming & MDA are strongly wondering whether or not it was a false positive test) apple has been bad.

Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me...

Getting back on topic...I do think the secondary fence would be a great idea...it would have to be the same height as the containment fence since we wouldn't want wild deer getting caught in between the two.

Question: How do these fences get funded? Most of these ranches don't have the cash reserves on hand to do this...does the MDA pony up with low interest loans?

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
I also thought the double fence was a requirement, no double fence and we worry about bait spreading the disease.:lol::lol::lol::confused: Wonder how many wild deer rubbed nose's with the positive deer. With deer being such social little buggers, I cant believe dbl fence is not mandatory.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
I'm not Dan...I'm younger and better looking. :lol:

That is a slippery slope argument.
Sorry, my bad on the name. :lol:

I've seen the claims from the deer farmers that it's a "billion dollar" industry in Michigan but I'm betting that might be the approx. cumulative valuation of the all of the inventory of the farms, not the amount that it actually contributes to the Michigan economy. Estimates of the actual economic impact of the captive cervid industry that I've seen are more in the $100 million dollar range.

I recognize that deer farming is big business but I also realize that it is the primary means of transmission of CWD into states where it has not previously occurred. Regardless of the precautions that are taken, it's inevitable that captive deer are going to escape and intermingle with the free ranging herd. There are all sorts of things that are restricted because they pose too much of a threat. We don't let people build private nuclear reactors in their back yard, no matter how upstanding they may be, the potential downside is just too great. I think hindsight will show that we should have banned CC facilities 6 years ago when CWD was found in Wisconsin. If we had, we would not be in the situation we are now.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
let me pose this question then...

How would a double fence (on record that I agree with the idea) help stop the transmission of CWD when the one deer that was found with it couldn't even infect the deer it was in nose to nose contact with on a daily basis for 3 1/2 years?

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
let me pose this question then...

How would a double fence (on record that I agree with the idea) help stop the transmission of CWD when the one deer that was found with it couldn't even infect the deer it was in nose to nose contact with on a daily basis for 3 1/2 years?
You don't know that they were not contaminated. It's entirely possible that all the deer would eventually have developed to the point of testing positive.

If what you say is really true they should be able to reopen the deer farm with more deer.

Do you think that farm is going to be allowed to reopen as a deer operation?

I know all the licensed farms have been checked and as usual a certain percentage of the almost six hundred operations are very poorly run with poor fencing and lousy record keeping.

It would not bother me in the least if those type facilities were closed.
But the well run farms may end up the only places you'll be able to hunt or buy venison that will be considered clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts