Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because they short out then your motor burns up....Then you don't have a boat anymore.... Don't believe me...Come over and look in my driveway..... Learned the hard way on this one...

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
oooh ,that hurts:mad: :( ,,,,so what exactly did you have ? and what is left of it?

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,130 Posts
.....because the elec. blankie goes well with the bedtime story when you tuck your outboard nitey-nite ???

:D

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hadn't winterized it yet and I have a pair of bad seals in the lower unit so I know there is water in it. I was still planning on fishing yet this month so I figured it would work for a few days till the temps came up. Used to do that with my I/O all the time. I had the blanket on there for 2 nights with no problems. Seems the cord shorted out about 6" above the contol box and POOF. Thank god I never used the thing in the house. Only time it got used was wraping up motors and keeping puppies warm. Bet ya I never use another one!!

Weird thing is that I was looking under the cowling and everything looks in order. No burned up lines or melted wires or any other signs of damage. Now the outside is a different story. I'm sure that all the seals in the lower unit are shot. I brought the cherry picker home tonight and am going to drag it out to the workshop for another rebuild this winter. Hopefully a little sandblasting and some new paint and it'll live another year. Can't kill them old mercs anyway.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If your worried about water, just crack the top oil plug. I still dont understand the electric blanket, is it just on the lower unit?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wouldn't water drain out of the "lower" drain plug. Oil floats on top of water. Just loosen the lower plug. Let the water out. I realize this is a little late. Sorry about the damage to the motor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
People do that all the time when they wind a heat tape around their water lines. Can't cross the wires or they act on each other and them poof! No house.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts