Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people PM'd me today asking for specifics of last nights fishing trip.

I gave some people where, and come to find out, they were spreading the word to everyone leaving dock today.

Im amazed by the will of some people or should I say lack of.

So I will continue to give reports, but do not expect any specifics from me.

And the person who is responsible for this thank YOU!

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is always someone who ruins it. I use to whip all the time in Algonac. To many people fighting for the "spot" I appreciate your report. Good luck and rember why we fish "enjoyment" not "stress"
Bob D.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree the internet can screw things up. I'm very selective about what I post. The only people that need this site are people that don't know how to fish. So why post unless you want a bunch or nimrods on top of you your next trip out. I don't give specifics find your own fish.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OUCH!!! A little harsh don't ya think!!! Secret spots are just that SECRET. I am asked all the time when, where, etc. I am usually pretty vague about this cuz there are plenty enough others to spread the word.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
jd_7655 said:
I agree the internet can screw things up. I'm very selective about what I post. The only people that need this site are people that don't know how to fish. So why post unless you want a bunch or nimrods on top of you your next trip out. I don't give specifics find your own fish.
Not True.:p

·
Registered
129 Posts
A major problem is that this site isn't just acessable by the members, but EVERYBODY! One person puts a post on where they are catching fish and the whole world sees it. It's unfortunate that even the PM's seem to leak and sometimes even when you do send a PM, the person you sent it to seems to post exact location the next day. These seem to be the same people that complain about a place being packed. Some people think they will make friends by letting the cat out of the bag but sometimes they piss more people off than they help. Everyone is a "pro" when there a 10 million fish in a river! I see posts about west-side fishing piers and people giving too much info, I think the same should apply in highly populated rivers on the east-side like when I see a pic of a "hot spot" specifically noted with a big red X. FISHING IS FINDING FISH. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just voicing my opinion... Thanks. SFW1960, just read your post. There really is no such thing a a "secret spot", just spots that hold fish at different times. Like the man said... PM's are sent... PRIVATE messages are sent for a reason.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's too bad that some ruin it for the rest. I'm one who pm's others to get help on fishing tips---and yes, I keep EVERYTHING to myself. To me, if you want to spread info, you would just post it so everyone can read it. If you pm someone, keep it to the pm. I have been given info in the past, and have kept it low-key. To the guys who have gave me tips and honey holes in the past--thanks a million, and feel confident that the info given to me is sacred!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I really hope no one takes this personally... There are plenty of wonderful people on this site and I have met plenty of them, but sometimes it gets a little out of control. I guess it is kind of hard to know who to PM and who not to. It should just be common courtesy that people who ask for info and recieve it remember that someone was good enough to help a brother out. Guys, lets be good about this subject and not let it blow up. We are sportsmen... Lets act like sportsmen.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Brian,

I get quite a few PM's during the hardwater season asking where I'm fishing. There are only half dozen guys on here that I will share my hard earned info with and they also share their hard earned info with me and we keep it between us. Anyone else I tell them the best way to find the fish and how to catch them is to get out on the water a learn for yourself. You know the old saying, "give a man a fish..."

You can take a hard earned life lesson from this because you just figured out why you should keep some information private (or if you want to have some real fun with the guys who can't keep quiet, give them info on a "hot-spot" (wink wink) a few miles away. :lol: I've always thought that posting the GPS coordinates of a seafood section in a grocery store near the water would be sort of funny too. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
"The fishin's good" is good enough for me.No need for specifics.
-Gary

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
too bad its not like the deadliest catch. you give out someones fishin hole and they take a pot full of crab and weld it shut. That ought to teach them

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
ih772 said:
Brian,

(or if you want to have some real fun with the guys who can't keep quiet, give them info on a "hot-spot" (wink wink) a few miles away. :lol: I've always thought that posting the GPS coordinates of a seafood section in a grocery store near the water would be sort of funny too. ;)

That system seems to work the best doesn't it Ian!! ;) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Brian, I whip alot and It was killing me to see your post because I new somehow the spot would get out.. That is the reasons why I might post that we hammered them, but because of what happen to you I will never give it out even in a PM. I hope it wasn't my spot because I'm going out tonight:lol: ...

·
Registered
993 Posts
That does suck. :sad: I have shared areas that I fish with several people through pm's on here and have gotten some great tips in return. It seems that some people just can't leave a good thing alone. The information that I share, and that others share with me has helped to turn a bad day/night fishing into a good one.

·
Registered
564 Posts
ih772 said:
Brian,

always thought that posting the GPS coordinates of a seafood section in a grocery store near the water would be sort of funny too. ;)
That's one sure fire way to make friends.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bummer, Just don't PM him anymore and call him out so no one else does either. :rant:
It would be nice if you had to be registered to view posts.

I'm going to fish in a river tonight. gonna jig for a bit and then whip for a bit.
I will let you how I do.
here's a pic of my fish
:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Guys there are so many spots to fish," I help people "so they have a good time....we are not fishing for money and even then I help out fellow anglers.
Is it that big of a deal?:gaga: I show people but that doesn't mean they can catch fish...........

·
Registered
564 Posts
Todd Steele said:
Guys there are so many spots to fish," I help people "so they have a good time....we are not fishing for money and even then I help out fellow anglers.
Is it that big of a deal?:gaga: I show people but that doesn't mean they can catch fish...........
That's correct. Fish move also. Some people may be in your spot, but if they don't catch anything they will move on to the next "hot spot". I'm not saying it isn't rude to do what that guy did, I'm just saying not to let it bother you too much. Alot of people have an "I know something you don't know," complex and can't help but spill the beans.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have had fishermen ask to follow me out. They were new to the area and needed some help. I try to share information about where, and how. As far as that goes what's to stop someone from following you from the dock to your secret spot? I think this site is all about sharing information. I don't post GPS #s but I don't mind sharing the general area with others.:)

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
Fishnnut said:
Bummer, Just don't PM him anymore and call him out so no one else does either. :rant:
It would be nice if you had to be registered to view posts.

I'm going to fish in a river tonight. gonna jig for a bit and then whip for a bit.
I will let you how I do.
here's a pic of my fish
:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:
At least we all know you were in Canada.:lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts