Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
075EEFA0-EFDE-4292-819E-1561F41E1BE7.jpeg
This, is an abandoned campfire, burning on E. Center fire line Rd. in Gladwin County.

It wasn’t there when I drove in this morning, and it was blazing away unattended on my way home at 4 o’clock.

There are no campers, no vehicles, no motorcycles, no people, no animals, nothing but mile after mile of tinder dry grass and leaves.
The Bentley marsh which is probably 2 mi.² of dry grass, is directly on the other side of that hill.

That fire is surrounded by Oak trees that have just dropped their leaves, in an area where there has been no precipitation for weeks.
I stumbled upon it on my way home.

I didn’t have anything other than an empty 2 L bottle to put it out with.

Since that is a very popular area for ORV riders, I hope some of your fellow riders find you, and set you straight.

It’s bad enough that I am picking up bag after bag after bag of garbage that people just decide to Chuck out into the woods, but now I have to worry about douche bags setting the place on fire.

I have no idea what is the matter with people anymore.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I know right where that fire was. Sure am glad you found it before it took off. Thank God for no wind today . Some people should not be playing with fire.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks dry and flammable. Weird to have fire danger at the end of December.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
looks like an Arsonist purposely did it knowing it would cause more damage if left alone.

Is it a contained fire pit?

Can't see any rocks or boarders..

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could have been a re-kindle from a poorly extinguished fire.
Except for the arm load of dry wood on top of it when I walked up.
Zoom in on the picture.

No effort to even move the leaves away from it.

I actually thought they went to get beer or something, and would be right back.

So, I burned it down and cleared the ground around it, from 3:15 until almost 5.
Nobody came by.
Then I realized I had a big enough container to dredge some water up from a seep to put it out.
I put it out and went to Lucky's.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Good job in finding this GK! It always annoys me how much people trash public land with garbage. I always make sure to pick up everything of mine and anything else around that i find when we make stops when we ride

1 - 15 of 15 Posts