Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a couple of downriggers and was wondering if anyone here uses them on erie in the summer and if you have do you use small flashers/dodgers w/spoons and crankbaits? We use a lot of dipsies and jets and thought that downriggers would be the way to go...the weeds screw up dipsies and jets but I didn't think they would mess with the cables too much. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A lot of guys on Saginaw have been running the "eyeliminators" which is a small dodger. I ran some on Erie a few times, but cannot say they were any better than running without them. Perhaps I need to do more testing!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Run any small spoon a few feet above bottom. I prefer Stinger Scorpion and Fishlander spoons. The riggers account for alot of walleye. Riggers keep the spoons down and away from the planner board spread. With six people aboard I would run 4 off each board, one Dipsey off each side, and two riggers off the back. On an average day we would have our limit and be cleaning fish by 10:30-11:00am.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tuna,

I'll be sticking with the dipsies on Erie this year. I may have to add planner boards and down riggers if you START out fishing me! :lol: :bash: :lol:

Jett

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
When running lines off rigger on Erie for walleye use a Release that has a 12”-18” Cable off of the ball to the release this will allow you to see the rod tip moving if you pick up anything to small to trip the rigger release. That way you’re not spending a lot of time running baits through the water that may already have a fish on them.

Steve

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Steven Arend said:
When running lines off rigger on Erie for walleye use a Release that has a 12”-18” Cable off of the ball to the release this will allow you to see the rod tip moving if you pick up anything to small to trip the rigger release. That way you’re not spending a lot of time running baits through the water that may already have a fish on them.

Steve
That there is very sound advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts