Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the water is getting cold, is there anything i need to worry about when sending my dog into the water? I've seen videos with dogs breaking through ice to get birds. Guess i just want some assurance. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would get the dog a camo vest. It will help with the body heat loss, and help the dog float in the water too. You can find them at Gander Mountian, Cabelas.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Along with the vest make sure they have somewhere dry to sit.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that the water is getting cold, is there anything i need to worry about when sending my dog into the water? I've seen videos with dogs breaking through ice to get birds. Guess i just want some assurance. Thanks
We've got two labs - the vest mentioned above is great in terms of warmth and flotation. We actually found vests online that have a handle that is on the back of the dogs - helps lift them up into the boat just in case. Has come in handy a couple times in some rougher water.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The bottom of the boat can be wet and cold. I give my best buddy a pad to sit on in the bottom of the boat. or let her up on a bench if there is room.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
got the 5mm vest, and sits in the boat. nothing to worry about?
Every dog is different, some can take severe cold better than others.
Buddy told me of a late season hunt. Rotating dogs, it came to the point where the female went in and then came back. So ? She had all she could take. The male still went out. It just all depends......common sense rules here.
Some guys will send there dogs on sheet Ice for a retrieve, some guys stop taking there dogs when the temp reaches freezing. Your call, learn what the dog can and cannot take and go from there. You know the dog better than anyone........:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like the others said keep them dry and buy the best vest money can buy.
They will shake, but if it becomes an uncontrollable shake and they get lethargic and glossy eyes head for the truck and get them warm fast!
Don't mess around. Maybe even have your vet's phone number in your cell if they don't start acting like them selves after getting warm. Be careful, please.

John.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Don't overdo cold water retrieves and know how to read your dog under all conditions. The dog becomes fatigued much quicker in cold water and you run the risk of a fetch command refusal.

Few handlers are willing to force a dog into cold water if they know the dog is cold and fatigued. The result is a training problem that will be repeated on land and warm water retrieves.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Learn the sign's of hypotherma (how ever it is spelled) and keep an eye on the dog. all good comments above.. There are many dog's that love to retrieve so much, that some times it can get them into trouble. your the one who needs to know when enough is enough. My rule of thumb is that if it is below freezing, well below freezing, the dog stay's home. How old is the dog? You need to keep that in mind also. I would personally not use a young pup (under 2 years old) when it is really cold. They might have a bad experience and that can be a real bad thing for his hunting future. you alway's want a young pup to have fun. Not to much fun when they have ice hanging off there coat. EVERYONE should also carry a first aid kit for the dog, and have the phone number and address for the closest animal hospital near the area you are hunting. It's always better to be prepared just incase.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you are hunting in a boat, take a heater along. If not, then make sure to have the dog on a stand out of the water. Use a vest, and have a shamwow handy to towel the excess water off the dog.
Use common sense when it comes to ice and currents. That's when your dog can be pulled under and lost.

·
Registered
774 Posts
when in the boat or on a bank, i bring along a fleece blanket for my dog to sit on. if its bitter cold and windy sometimes i'll even throw the ends over top of him to break the wind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts