Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you all found to be the best DG bait? I have tried a bait from Hoosier Trapping Supply called Coon Chum, which is basically corn based. I caught a couple coons, but have done far better setting foot holds with a fish bait. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
What have you all found to be the best DG bait? I have tried a bait from Hoosier Trapping Supply called Coon Chum, which is basically corn based. I caught a couple coons, but have done far better setting foot holds with a fish bait. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sheeps wool some fish oil has worked well for me.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
My traps stay on location, so I don't care about how messy they might be, but I suppose that would be a factor if you had to handle them much.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Depends on the type of DP really. Some of them only have a pull type trigger. Others have a push/pull trigger.

For a pull only trigger, I like to utilize a marshmellow under the firing mechanism. This way they can see it and have to dig for it thus pulling the trigger. I also use a call bait. Usually Anise but it depends on the area. If I am setting off from a trail, I will use a scent trail type of lure (think fish oil) to direct them to the traps.

For push/pull style DPS, I still use a marshmellow under the trigger but, this is so other baits cannot get down under it and prevent it from firing on the push. I mix up a combination of peanuts (usually old stale ones) and I put in a few tootsie rolls. I leave that concoction in a plastic jar for a few weeks (befores season) and you would be amazed at how much that tootsie roll smell gets on everything. I then put this concontion in on top of the trigger (not all the way to the top). I want them to be able to reach their hand in there, start to screw around with the stuff and fire the trap.

The nice part about the peanut style bait is that it is impervious to rain. Depending on the area, I will use a call lure smeared on the tree. Rarely do I put the tootsie rolls in the trap. I usually just put them on the rim from time to time.

I make my own fish oil lures using a combination of clam juice, fish oil, and a little liquid smoke from time to time. Also add in a little olive oil to help it from washing away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depends on the type of DP really. Some of them only have a pull type trigger. Others have a push/pull trigger.

For a pull only trigger, I like to utilize a marshmellow under the firing mechanism. This way they can see it and have to dig for it thus pulling the trigger. I also use a call bait. Usually Anise but it depends on the area. If I am setting off from a trail, I will use a scent trail type of lure (think fish oil) to direct them to the traps.

For push/pull style DPS, I still use a marshmellow under the trigger but, this is so other baits cannot get down under it and prevent it from firing on the push. I mix up a combination of peanuts (usually old stale ones) and I put in a few tootsie rolls. I leave that concoction in a plastic jar for a few weeks (befores season) and you would be amazed at how much that tootsie roll smell gets on everything. I then put this concontion in on top of the trigger (not all the way to the top). I want them to be able to reach their hand in there, start to screw around with the stuff and fire the trap.

The nice part about the peanut style bait is that it is impervious to rain. Depending on the area, I will use a call lure smeared on the tree. Rarely do I put the tootsie rolls in the trap. I usually just put them on the rim from time to time.

I make my own fish oil lures using a combination of clam juice, fish oil, and a little liquid smoke from time to time. Also add in a little olive oil to help it from washing away.
Thank you for the info! I am going to try this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts