Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been brought up before, but due to a few posts I've read lately I have to ask. What is your greatest enjoyment when you go out bird hunting, is it bagging those birds or watching the dog you've been working with all year perform the way he is suppose to?
My self I take alot more joy in just seeing my dogs perform.
If I get birds that is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
This has probably been brought up before, but due to a few posts I've read lately I have to ask. What is your greatest enjoyment when you go out bird hunting, is it bagging those birds or watching the dog you've been working with all year perform the way he is suppose to?
My self I take alot more joy in just seeing my dogs perform.
If I get birds that is just icing on the cake.

I agree. (thats what we all say when the majority get away):lol:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sorry but birdwork dosen't taste like "Chicken from Heaven":lol:

·
Banned
4,370 Posts
I guess when I'm hunting I hardly notice what the dog is doing. So, I guess he's doing alright. I'm too worried about making the shot.

Training is training, and hunting is hunting.

·
Premium Member
11,080 Posts
I'll go with the safe answer and say both.;)

I don't need to see birds to enjoy the hunt, but it is one of the main reasons we partake in the endeavor, otherwise it is just a walk in the woods while carrying firearms.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I want to see the dogs progress. I love watching the dogs but the birds help keep me energized about following the dogs around all day. I really only shoot birds that the dogs work according to a set expectation. For Tecumseh it is everything to the flush. He has to establish point and stay there until I get up in front and flush the bird or it flies unscathed. For Piqua I am more leniant because she is younger and a lot less experienced. If she establishes point and the bird flushes on its own I will shoot to reward the point even if she pointed too close and the bird flushed without my help. Later in the season I hope that she will gain enough proficiency to shoot only birds that she stands right and that I flush.

Right now, I have gotten enough of those opportunities from both dogs so life is good. When the new pup arrives in a few weeks I look forward to starting him out right as well. Not too many things better than starting a pup out on the prairie.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'll go with the safe answer and say both.;)

I don't need to see birds to enjoy the hunt, but it is one of the main reasons we partake in the endeavor, otherwise it is just a walk in the woods while carrying firearms.
I too, will play it safe and and agree with this statement but with more emphasis on the dog work.

...When the new pup arrives in a few weeks I look forward to starting him out right as well. Not too many things better than starting a pup out on the prairie.
I must have missed the new puppy post: New V?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If I had a choice to leave the dog or the gun at home, I'd leave the gun.
That being said, knocking down a bird or two really completes the trip.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Watching the Dogs, definately. Otherwise, I'd be up in a tree somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I Love to eat Wildgame, especially the birds. But there is something special about watching a Pointing dog coursing the woods or a "Bull strong" Retriever breaking ice and let's not forget the sound of a pack of wound up Beagles on a hot track. Everything else is just a Bonus. FRANK

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I have been taking digital pics while out hunting. Tons of fun.. Got so Im not too disappointed if I dont get a shot with the gun, but feel bad if I dont get the dog on point with the camera.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I love dogs, but I would bird hunt without them. They're a tool to make bird hunting better and more enjoyable.

I birdhunt to kill birds. All of the associated things I do enjoy and appreciate, and many times they are what stand out at the end of the day- the colors, the dog work, an outstanding point or retrieve.

But I birdhunt to kill birds. Ruffed grouse specifically. Woodcock are fun and amusing, pheasants by and large bore me.

My inner Cpt. Ahab says "grouse"!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well, it all started many years ago for me. Back when I use to bow hunt. I'd always be walking into my stand...and these blasted birds kept taking off and scaring the crap out of me. I said to myself right then and there..."Someday, I'm going to come back and kill all of these ********". "Every gosh darn one of them, even if it takes me the rest of my life".

So, that's what I've been up to for the last few years. The dogs are just a tool to help me accomplish my goal.

Just kidding.

Brian.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The dog, but the bird is the goal for both of us working as team and having fun together.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All about the dogs for me. Of course, if we tromp around all day and don't see any birds, that's not nearly as fun.

When I'm watching my dogs work, I catch myself remembering them as puppies and how they've progressed. I'm usually critical of their performance in my mind. Then when we're actually out there working, I'm so proud of them.

My dogs are part of my family.
They enrich my life.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I hunt for the dog. working with him is my goal the birds are the game we play our score sheet ,maybe like a golfer keeps score? Taz is fun to watch work and it has been my pleasure to drive him out to a spot and watch him shine or blow it. but it is more fun with birds

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me its all about my dog, seeing the progress he and I have made.
Having a day in the field together,counting or blessings.
But having put a bird or two in the bag makes us both feel real proud.
Then we feel like a team,he did his job I did mine..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.