Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody been here in Sept?? Never been to this lake---Mostly looking for Pike---not trophies just eaters---walleyes secondary!! Any info would help!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was there about 6-7 yrs ago. Did catch the largest pike of my life(44 inches). We went in early June. Lots of bears around. There were slot limits on eyes and pike. Dnr types landed planes and checked limits of fishermen. On the way home, we got pulled over by dnr types again and they searched our truck, opened all bags, and measured all fish. They were nasty and really tried to find a reason. We were all legal, so they left (our stuff laying spread all over the ground). We repacked every thing and I have not been back to Canada since.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There are better lakes than Dog. We went there several times. We went in mid June and early July. Last trip was in 2008. The pike fishing was getting better with the new "slot" limit, but it never was what you'd expect from a Canadian trip. It always seemed to be a better walleye lake.... It may be a different lake in September though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Been hitting Dog lake for the past 3 years . Catching more and larger fish each time. We caught several in the 28-34" range without much time targeting them .Chased the walleye and caught about 160 or so in 3.5 days. 14-25" range. If you decide to go I will pm you places to hit. We go in late June and hit the middle of the mayfly hatch. Didn't seem to effect the bite. Saw a few locals get 12" suckers and they bobber fish the points for the monsters.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We just got back from Dog Lake. Very very disappointing, would never ever go back. It was not the ideal time of year but It should have been way better. Took my son and nephew, we mostly targeted northerns. In 3 days we caught one 29" inch northern and a hand full of 14" walleyes. The weather was fantastic, the lake and accommodations where great, the fishing was terrible. We will be looking for another Canadian pike lake for next year. If anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Peck, I went there 7-8 years ago around the same time and with good weather as well, but the fishing was really not good, not what I would have expected. Our results were very similar as yours.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Peck, I went there 7-8 years ago around the same time and with good weather as well, but the fishing was really not good, not what I would have expected. Our results were very similar as yours.
For sure not what I expected. Maybe it's just the wrong time to go. I will be looking for a new place to take the boys next year. I really don't want to spend the money it takes to do a fly in, the 1 day 10 hour drive was perfect.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The thing with Dog Lake is it's a huge lake and not easy to learn. Our family has been going for 25 years, and we love it. Just got back today in fact. I have never targeted the pike with great effort but they are there. We hooked up with quite a few fishing for perch (which we did very well on). If you want cheap and close, Dog is a very good lake, but again takes time to learn. We sucked the first 5 years on the lake, but improved every year. Also, from talking with people who've also been going for years, early season, around memorial day is a great time as well as August. I definitely wish you and your son had a better trip. If I knew better spots for pike, I'd give you some tips. If you want a good pike area in MI, don't rule out Cedarville/Hessel in the U.P.

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The thing with Dog Lake is it's a huge lake and not easy to learn. Our family has been going for 25 years, and we love it. Just got back today in fact. I have never targeted the pike with great effort but they are there. We hooked up with quite a few fishing for perch (which we did very well on). If you want cheap and close, Dog is a very good lake, but again takes time to learn. We sucked the first 5 years on the lake, but improved every year. Also, from talking with people who've also been going for years, early season, around memorial day is a great time as well as August. I definitely wish you and your son had a better trip. If I knew better spots for pike, I'd give you some tips. If you want a good pike area in MI, don't rule out Cedarville/Hessel in the U.P.

Good luck out there!
Thanks for the info, it really is a beautiful lake. I am sure we could have done better if we would have done some more homework ahead of time. My real passion is deer hunting, fishing secondary. Just like deer hunting you get out of it what you put into it.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Good luck out there!
I can totally understand that, I really didn't know anything about walleye fishing at the time and very little about fishing in general compared to what I know now. With that being said, I'd bet I could do better now, but I do think time of year plays a major role in fishing and with walleye/pike spring can e king, It was brutally hot and we mostly fished mid day so it makes sense that the fishing was slow for us.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts

Good luck out there!
We have just about decided that is our spot for next year, now just have to coordinate work schedules for the best time for both of us. We are not trophy hunters but a nice eye for each of us would be fine. Peace and quiet is what we are looking for, and with a lake that large, we should be able to stumble on some good places to drown crawlers or troll Johnson silver minnows for pike...

We did a family trip to Cedarville but didn't have time to get into any good places.

Thanks for all the info, fellow MS members.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have just about decided that is our spot for next year, now just have to coordinate work schedules for the best time for both of us. We are not trophy hunters but a nice eye for each of us would be fine. Peace and quiet is what we are looking for, and with a lake that large, we should be able to stumble on some good places to drown crawlers or troll Johnson silver minnows for pike...

We did a family trip to Cedarville but didn't have time to get into any good places.

Thanks for all the info, fellow MS members.
Feel free to PM me as well. It's been a few years since we last went, but MDH is right....the lake takes time. One easy recommendation is to stock up on WILLIAMS WOBBLERS. You want all silver, all gold, or the half silver/half gold. The two tone was always our best. I always swapped the hook to a red treble. You can cast or troll them and they catch everything in that lake from walleye to pike to lakers. Size 40, 50, 60. Fish them slow. The flutter as they fall is lethal. Steel leader is a must. If you go any time after July 4th, the type of weeds are critical for catching consistent pike. The weeds look like pipe cleaners and smell like coffee. If you find those weeds, there are almost always fish (pike/walleye/perch). They tend to grow in 6-12 FOW and you can see them on a calm day usually. They typically are mixed in with other weeds, but you need big clumps of them to hold fish. Find them and make them with a buoy!!!! My best baits on that lake were a Williams Wabbler, Perch Rapala TailDancer, and White or Chartreuse Tube for pike follows. The Rapala seemed to always be good for a walleye or two in the evening. Just be careful as they are fragile and I've had several fish break the bill right off slamming them into the side of the boat.

I will say that this lake has forever sold me on the merits of a slot limit. We first went around 1993 as the slot limit was starting on Walleye. I think 13-17" fish were protected. Eventually they moved the slot with that group of fish to 17-22 or something. It was crazy how the number of fish did improve and the quality improved as well. We always caught several walleye in the 27-29 range. We've caught several "blue walleye" too. I caught a beauty that was around 28" up in the Dog River.

When we stopped going they had started a slot limit on pike and also limited the number of fish 30" that could be kept. I can only imagine this has helped too....

We always stayed at Fox Den Lodge on the extreme North West Corner. I

Good luck and enjoy the trip and let me know if I can help anymore. My only last "secret" would be to fish where the rivers come in if it isn't too far of a run. The Dog and Lochlash....

Tim

·
Registered
473 Posts
Feel free to PM me as well. It's been a few years since we last went, but MDH is right....the lake takes time. One easy recommendation is to stock up on WILLIAMS WOBBLERS. You want all silver, all gold, or the half silver/half gold. The two tone was always our best. I always swapped the hook to a red treble. You can cast or troll them and they catch everything in that lake from walleye to pike to lakers. Size 40, 50, 60. Fish them slow. The flutter as they fall is lethal. Steel leader is a must. If you go any time after July 4th, the type of weeds are critical for catching consistent pike. The weeds look like pipe cleaners and smell like coffee. If you find those weeds, there are almost always fish (pike/walleye/perch). They tend to grow in 6-12 FOW and you can see them on a calm day usually. They typically are mixed in with other weeds, but you need big clumps of them to hold fish. Find them and make them with a buoy!!!! My best baits on that lake were a Williams Wabbler, Perch Rapala TailDancer, and White or Chartreuse Tube for pike follows. The Rapala seemed to always be good for a walleye or two in the evening. Just be careful as they are fragile and I've had several fish break the bill right off slamming them into the side of the boat.

I will say that this lake has forever sold me on the merits of a slot limit. We first went around 1993 as the slot limit was starting on Walleye. I think 13-17" fish were protected. Eventually they moved the slot with that group of fish to 17-22 or something. It was crazy how the number of fish did improve and the quality improved as well. We always caught several walleye in the 27-29 range. We've caught several "blue walleye" too. I caught a beauty that was around 28" up in the Dog River.

When we stopped going they had started a slot limit on pike and also limited the number of fish 30" that could be kept. I can only imagine this has helped too....

We always stayed at Fox Den Lodge on the extreme North West Corner. I

Good luck and enjoy the trip and let me know if I can help anymore. My only last "secret" would be to fish where the rivers come in if it isn't too far of a run. The Dog and Lochlash....

Tim
Wow, neat to hear about your success with dog lake. Our group struck out, it may be that we just don't have the knowledge you do. Nobody we ran into was having any luck and it sounded like it has been real slow all summer.
We stayed at camp Missanabie. We never found a weed anywhere, all rocks. We spent a lot of time throwing Johnson spoons in the coves and off the points in 5 to 30 foot of water with next to zero success. We where able to pick up a few perch near the beaver lodges that offered some structure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow, neat to hear about your success with dog lake. Our group struck out, it may be that we just don't have the knowledge you do. Nobody we ran into was having any luck and it sounded like it has been real slow all summer.
We stayed at camp Missanabie. We never found a weed anywhere, all rocks. We spent a lot of time throwing Johnson spoons in the coves and off the points in 5 to 30 foot of water with next to zero success. We where able to pick up a few perch near the beaver lodges that offered some structure.
What's crazy and frustrating is that the lake looks like it should be loaded with fish but you can spend days pounding areas that look fishy with little or no success. We literally found one bay that consistently produced fish with 3-4 other pockets that would produce a few. It all came down to the weed type for us. It took is several trips to find that spot and then learn how to fish it. We had trolled that area and castes it many times, but learning to fish it with a Wabbler was key......credit to my dad and brother for figuring it out. The pike we loaded in that area on that day with a couple fish over 35".

We went Memorial week the last time and it was different. Walleye were actually hard to pin down. We got a few jigging and found a the very back of a bay that was loaded with pike. I literally beached the boat on a log and had pike under me. The only problem was the wind blew for the next 3.5 days with wind/snow/rain and we couldn't get back there. One neat thing was catching lake trout trolling spoons way behind the boat. That was a bit different.

My uncle goes every spring and they do well on walleye. But otherwise it just doesn't seem to have the classic outstanding fishing you hear about in Canada.....

I've never seen a graph mark arches like it did on that lake. No idea what there were, but geez....

·
Registered
110 Posts
We went to Dog Lake in 2013. It wasn't bad but we didn't do as well as we had hoped for. We spend most of our time further north but decided to try it out one year. As stated before, there is a lot of water there and figuring it out can take years. I would say you will likely be disappointed on your first trip but I would guess that if you were to really spend some time learning this lake you could do very well over the years. Very nice area and lots of exploring to be done there as well.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I went in 2012, caught fish, not as many as I would like. The lake is very deep and I think it lacks the deep water humps and reefs that make so many other walleye lakes so productive. Structure wise we only found a few points and narrows that were consistently productive and none of them held the kind of numbers that provide fast action. We searched for mid-lake structure rising out of 40' or more and didn't find any, though we did find lots of very deep water and schools of fish out there (whitefish?). My guess is that a lot of the walleye roam the deep water looking for whitefish and just aren't available to a guy who wants to fish in 25' or less. We did find some small ones in weeds and smallmouth in the rocks.

I only get one trip to Canada per year and I prefer to spend it where I can get more fish, bigger fish and more species. I have heard that folks who go before July do much better. Too bad that I'm fishing Michigan so hard at that time. The lake is beautiful and the accommodations were very reasonable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I went in 2012, caught fish, not as many as I would like. The lake is very deep and I think it lacks the deep water humps and reefs that make so many other walleye lakes so productive. Structure wise we only found a few points and narrows that were consistently productive and none of them held the kind of numbers that provide fast action. We searched for mid-lake structure rising out of 40' or more and didn't find any, though we did find lots of very deep water and schools of fish out there (whitefish?). My guess is that a lot of the walleye roam the deep water looking for whitefish and just aren't available to a guy who wants to fish in 25' or less. We did find some small ones in weeds and smallmouth in the rocks.

I only get one trip to Canada per year and I prefer to spend it where I can get more fish, bigger fish and more species. I have heard that folks who go before July do much better. Too bad that I'm fishing Michigan so hard at that time. The lake is beautiful and the accommodations were very reasonable.
I agree, we had a great place to stay at a reasonable price, lake is beautiful. We did have a great time but the fishing needs to be better for a rookie like me to catch fish. We are looking for a new canadian hot spot for next year, somewhere where even I can catch a northern or 2.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
There are humps. When you find them it's usually a hot spot in August. We are always considering new lakes just for a change of pace. Would love another drive in lake that wasn't all the way to Nakina. That area is awesome, but the drive was tough.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have fished Nakina and agree with you 100% on the drive. Way to far for me. That said we caught many many northerns in early August when we went. I was hoping for that type fishing at dog lake. I believe it took us 17 hours to get there, too far for me let alone the boys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts