Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.5yo Chocolate Lab JUST hurled her dinner (and by the looks of it, lunch too). In the vomit was some berries from bushes in the neighborhood.

Last night on our walk she got on her hind legs to reach a tree branch. I didn't think anything of it until I had to clean up her mess tonight.

Anyone got an idea of what's going on?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
326 Posts
We've been told by a vet in the past that it was ok to give our dogs Pepto. You might want to try that. If it threw up the berries from last night's walk and they were still in it's system then they might have been the cause.
Was there anything else in the vomit? Piece of toy, string, worm, etc...?
I would keep a close eye on her though.
She'll probably be hungry soon, if she's feeling better. Instead of food you might want to try cooked rice or pasta (plain) and see if it stays down. If it does, I would think she's fine.
We've had three dogs in the house for years now and eventually to see a lot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any idea what type of tree it was? What type of bush berries? Since it took some time for a reaction (If that was the cause) I would definately call my vet if symptoms persist. Some plants can cause some serious issues-kidney damage, liver problems etc. Thankfully, this is usually pretty rare. My lab ate lily of the vally leaves when she was a pup of about 3 months. She drooled and vomited in my lap for about 4 hours, went to sleep at about 4 in the morning and was fine the next day. I wasn't too concerned (Only sat up with her all night) because she was vomiting the chunks of leaves, and drank plenty of water. Did a little research after that, to determine what in the yard was poisonious.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Due51 said:
My 1.5yo Chocolate Lab JUST hurled her dinner (and by the looks of it, lunch too). In the vomit was some berries from bushes in the neighborhood.

Last night on our walk she got on her hind legs to reach a tree branch. I didn't think anything of it until I had to clean up her mess tonight.

Anyone got an idea of what's going on?

Thanks
John
Anything she ate last night (including berries) should have been fully digested and moved through her system by now. Because the berries from last night, her lunch and dinner got puked up, I'd be concerned. Could she have eaten/chewed something that is giving her an intestinal blockage? Can she drink water and keep that down?

If she is vomiting food that was eaten several hours earlier (4-8 hrs) that should be digested, it might mean it's getting blocked somewhere in her intestinal tract. I don't want to panic you, but if that's the problem it is fatal.

Check her abdomen. Is it painful when you push on it. Check her good. Is she lethargic? Does she want to drink alot of water?

If there is ANY suspicion that she has an intestinal blockage, get her to a vet right away for x-rays. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
I would definately be careful regarding the intestinal blockage....can geet real bad real quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts