Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, first off it is not my dog who has the problem. a buddy of mine has a beagle who has eaten some sort of fabric or who knows what and may need it surgically removed. he will know for sure tomorrow morning when another xray is done. i am just curious has anyone had this happen and if so how much did it cost and what kind of recovery time did the dog need.

thanks in advance, dave

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
About 3 years ago Neo Mastiff, 1300 dollars.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I hear of it all the time...one time I had a dog board at my kennel that pooped out a pink terry cloth bathrobe belt...in one long piece.
When I confronted the owner she said "Where did he get THAT?" like it was my fault...I said my robe is white, anyone in your family have a pink one?
She immediately lost all traces of indignation and when "ohhhhhh"
My friends Golden ate a 6 foot leather leash....excet the 3 inches that was attached to the snap. The vet waited to see what would happen...after two days they went in. 100 one inch pieces or more of leather....$2500.00, of course it was covered by her pet insurance policy (she got one after he ate the console of her BMW)
They watch for vomiting....and other signs of the item not passing.
But I have had dogs that have pooped out socks, pieces of their blankets...dog toys...without a problem.

He could get lucky....or it could cost a bundle....time will tell.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I thought beagles could pass anything smaller than a couch :lol: Mine have about done it.

Seriously, I hope it goes well.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
hello all, first off it is not my dog who has the problem. a buddy of mine has a beagle who has eaten some sort of fabric or who knows what and may need it surgically removed. he will know for sure tomorrow morning when another xray is done. i am just curious has anyone had this happen and if so how much did it cost and what kind of recovery time did the dog need.

thanks in advance, dave
Just went through this EXACT thing, over the summer with my lab. IMO, the vet should have been able to see that "fabric" or obstruction, right off the bat. I know I did,, and I'm not a vet. I hope waiting until tomorrow isn't too long. What is going to determine how much,, is how much damage is done to the intestine. In my case,, it was a worst case scenario, the stick and fabric basically serrated about 10" of the intestine from the dog trying to move it one way or the other, pooping it or throwing it up. Kinda like a saw, going back and forth.

I don't know where Columbiaville is,, but I took my dog to the Fowlerville emergency care (over an hour drive for me),, cost me $750 for pretty much every thing. My SIL, who is a vet tech,, said the surgery at her place woulda cost $4000...:SHOCKED: The dog will be fully recovered in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
my brit ate part of a blanket and on the way to the vet she coughed prat of it up and it was able to be gently pulled it out it was going cost $2200 it was 3in x 5.5 ft long can esaly be fatal if not addres immediately she is 6yrs old Know and i still cant put bedding in her kenal

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I had a husky mix, ate part of a thermal weave blanket I had put in her kennel. $1200 and that was 17 years ago or better.

My uncle had a lab that ate one of those antique glass doorknobs. That was a pretty penny too.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
One of our bassets ate something this past summer that gave her a blockage. We thought we were about to lose her, and the vet thought so too. After giving her a ton of barium(both ways) she started to pass things...we don't know what the heck it was. The x-rays were inconclusive, just showed pockets of blockages. Total was about $600 for xrays and barium enema.

Gosh we love our hounds, but this one basset is a real handful....too bad she's not smart like her sister! She tries to eat everything! Hope everything turns out ok for your friends beagles.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they already did one xray tonight confirming the fabric looking stuff in the dogs stomach they want to do another one in the morning to see if it going to start to move and pass it if it can. my buddy was thinking it was stuffing from toys but i reminded him the dog tore up his kids trampoline padding last week and that is made of styrofoam which i would guess would not get passed very easily. i dont know what stomach acid would make styrofoam look like on a x ray though. he didnt ask the vet how much it would cost but i was a little curious. boy do i feel bad for him.

thanks all for the replies. i probably wont tell him what it might cost. i have a feeling he will find out.

william bonney, columbiaville is just north of lapeer but my buddy lives near uttica. hopefully it wont cost too much or even better it will start to pass.

later, dave

·
Registered
414 Posts
My hunt buddy has a red setter that a pair of his wife panties. I asked if they were breifs or thong. He didnot see the humor after $1200 vet bill.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
On another note VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) paid all but about 150 dollars of mine. For Jed insurance was about 27 dollars a month. Same price on insurance for the other mastiff. She had a Temperal Plateu Leveling Operating at the tune of 2500 dollars. Insurance paid about 80 percent.

Only reason I didn't continue the insurance was that with 4 dogs it was a little over 100 dollars a month and things were getting tight. If a person has one dog, twenty something dollars a month makes vet bills easy.:)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My GSP ate some carpet that caused a near total blockage per a barium xray. I believe the total cost (between a standard xray, barium xray, stomach/intestinal surgery and meds) was $900-$1,000.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well my buddy called and woke me up this morning after the second xray. it looks like they wont have to do surgery. the stuff has moved into the intestines and the dog even passed some this morning. very good news.
i guess a beagle might be able to pass a couch :) i will tell him about the pet insurance he might be interested in checking it out.

later, dave

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Very glad things are looking good. Hope it continues that way :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My dog ate a bucket of that thick green grass that collects under the lawnmower deck (that I just cleaned out and put in a bucket) 1000 dollars. They tried for 3 days to get is to pass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
An intestinal blockage is most often caused by dog eating something it shouldn't have. A blockage can be caused by almost anything small enough to go into your pet’s mouth and down the hatch. A partial blockage in the intestines will produce intermittent symptoms, of vomiting, diarrhea, and cramping. A complete blockage will produce severe and sudden abdominal pain, violent, possibly projectile vomiting.You might try feeding your dog a bland diet until you can get in to see the vet, but first withhold food and water until your dog has gone at least six hours without vomiting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts