Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out sat morning (nlp) with my brit he was out about 30yrds and let out a squeal that sounded like he was being killed i could see him and there apered to be something gray chasing him so I fired a shot as he became moor visible there was nothing chasing him but he was headed for the next county still squealing till I could no longer hear him. Thank God for the garmin tracker i found him 20 min later about 3/4 mil away, not a mark on him and no quils so other than being a giant sissy any ideas on what happened

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My guess would be a coyote was after him. Hard to say. Too bad he didn't return to you right away if he was in trouble.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I had an older model Tritronics shock collar that I suspected of going off a few times on it's own, without me hitting the button, when I used to run hounds. I had heard other people complain about this, too. If you had a shock collar on him, you may want to check it out. I don't know what set's them off ???

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
My guess would be a coyote was after him. Hard to say. Too bad he didn't return to you right away if he was in trouble.
Where were you hunting? UP? Most likely a coyote, but if in the UP, most likely a wolf!
C'mon guys - I think a coyote or wolf would have been visible at 30 yards - not a whole lot of cover this time of year.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dident think of the collar good thought. It was very thick cover for about 40 ft and not sure but looked like somthing gray was behind him maybe my bad eyes I just dont understand why he was yelping all the way out of sight and sound. The collar might explain it but it is a new alpha 100

·
Registered
651 Posts
On Saturday October 26, my nephew was hunting with me east of Reed City and a fawn came out on the food plot and the doe was scting strange just off the plot. Then a cougar chased th e fawn off the food plot and the doe headed off in a different direction. He said it was brown like the fawn, had a long tail with a black tip and black on its muzzle. I would not be suprised if your dog was chased by a cougar too.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
On Saturday October 26, my nephew was hunting with me east of Reed City and a fawn came out on the food plot and the doe was scting strange just off the plot. Then a cougar chased th e fawn off the food plot and the doe headed off in a different direction. He said it was brown like the fawn, had a long tail with a black tip and black on its muzzle. I would not be suprised if your dog was chased by a cougar too.
I would be surprised. Mostly because they ambush and don't often miss.

Mountain lions are kind of a dark joke here in WA. You might see one, but you've probably been watched by many more.

I would lean more toward a coon, badger, or bobcat if it was gray. Though a coyote could give a good nip that might not show up with visible wounds.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would be surprised. Mostly because they ambush and don't often miss.

Mountain lions are kind of a dark joke here in WA. You might see one, but you've probably been watched by many more.

I would lean more toward a coon, badger, or bobcat if it was gray. Though a coyote could give a good nip that might not show up with visible wounds.
he has been licking at butt for two days no marks though

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Obviously...chupacabra!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
he has been licking at butt for two days no marks though
If he did get a whack from a porky he may have a quill that you can't see double check. When you found him did he smell like he soiled himself? The scent glands will release if he was scared enough and that might explain him cleaning the back end.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If he did get a whack from a porky he may have a quill that you can't see double check. When you found him did he smell like he soiled himself? The scent glands will release if he was scared enough and that might explain him cleaning the back end.
no smell but he dose have a very short hair cut know I wanted to be sure he had no quils. We missed one on a buddies dog one time and it got into the chest cavity almost killed the dog thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts