Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order some this weekend, I'll have several dogs to work after the muzzle loaders are done. If not to much snow during January & Feburary.
Weather needed or not I need them, figure the Mushers Secret is good, but what if a dogs foot gets injured, Just plain a good thing to have in the dog bag just in case.

But which ones ?
Looking on www.dogbooties.com we have 330 denier, we have 1000 denier, we have toughtek.
1000 may be too heavy & 330 probably ok, but the toughtek look interesting.
Maybe a couple sets of each ? I dunno, anybody ?

Wally

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
drwink said:
I'm going to order some this weekend, I'll have several dogs to work after the muzzle loaders are done. If not to much snow during January & Feburary.
Weather needed or not I need them, figure the Mushers Secret is good, but what if a dogs foot gets injured, Just plain a good thing to have in the dog bag just in case.

But which ones ?
Looking on www.dogbooties.com we have 330 denier, we have 1000 denier, we have toughtek.

Wally
I dont know 3 threads going about the same subject

Man they may lock and move 1 or 2

scott

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I burned through quite a few brands this year, truly never found one that made me compleyely happy. I can tell you to go leather if you can. Not as hars on the hair aroung the edge of the pads as the other materials.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think Fritz has the answer. When I lived in CO I had a chance to talk with guys who did a lot of hunting on the plains and the desert. The one thing that was a constant was if they used boots the duct tape and under wrap was the way to go. Not sure how they would perform on snow and ice but they will stay on without rubbing the dogs feet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
What about Duct Tape and under it you put that ankle wrap?
I know several people that use duct tape. They use a piece of old wash cloth or the ankle wrap and then cover in duct tape.

But I wouldn't use this on the snow and ice, there is absolutely know traction on the smooth side of the duct tape, your asking for knee or tendion problems with the duct tape on ice. Most people using that are in high desert areas or rough rocky areas where its for abrasion protection.

Wally I have several different pairs of those booties they all seem about the same to me, so try whichever ones you like. But I would go with a bright color because you or bound to loose one here and there and if its orange you might be able to back track and find it!!!

Bear Creek

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
drwink said:

Wally
I have the ones that are their #1 seller... When you call and place your order... just tell them what you are using it for they will recommend one. Since the dogs will be using them on snow and ice the 330 is plenty of thickness.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I have the boots that Ugly dog hunting sells. They work well.

I used infant socks as an underlayment, vet wrap, boot, ducttape over top. Never lost a boot. I was running them because I had a dog with a tender raw foot caused by the icey snow crust.
Like you I only use them if I have an injury to protect.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
2ESRGR8 said:
I have the boots that Ugly dog hunting sells. They work well.

I used infant socks as an underlayment, vet wrap, boot, ducttape over top. Never lost a boot. I was running them because I had a dog with a tender raw foot caused by the icey snow crust.
Like you I only use them if I have an injury to protect.
I saw those in the new catalog. At $50 they seem high but if they work good they are worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts