Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! It seems like forever since ive been on here. I have a question to all that have field blinds for dogs. Which one do you reccommend? Any pros and cons? Just wondering if the one's with front/back door are easier, and the blinds that are shorter are they hard for big dogs to get in. I have been training ranger with his kennel until I get the funds for a dog blind. He has been getting the hang of it and doing pretty good for having a virgin dog trainer!:lol: Thanks guys:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is funny because I was going to ask the same question when I got on the board today.

Has anyone made any homemade dog field blinds. It shouldn't be that hard. Do you need a floor for it?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have a basically new (still in box) FA Hide-A-Pooch in Max-4 camo I'd sell. It has been taken out of the box and may have a few sets of dog tracks in it but never hunted. The Hide-A-Pooch is their original model and is a bit taller for bigger dogs. pm me for details.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Here is a picture of the avery models we used for training at Firewater last summer. They are very low. The reason for this I was told is to keep the dog in the laying down position. I was at gander mountain this winter and saw a different one with no labels or markings I asked how much and it scanned at 19.99 on sale. I think it is an ameristep, or that type. It is a little taller. Also remember to place the blind behind you so when you sit up to shoot the dog is behind the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took the top half a plastic portable kennel and attached a 1/4" thk. plywood floor to it. Painted it camo and attached some shock cording for stubble straps. It works very well for my 75 lb. labrador. It is low profile, light weight and easy to handle. I picked the kennel up at a yard sale, so I have maybe $30.00 into the whole thing. I also put a wood dowel horizontally across the opening to keep the dog inside until I want him out, that reduced his anxiety and my frustration very much.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Fowl Obsession said:
I took the top half a plastic portable kennel and attached a 1/4" thk. plywood floor to it. Painted it camo and attached some shock cording for stubble straps. It works very well for my 75 lb. labrador. It is low profile, light weight and easy to handle. I picked the kennel up at a yard sale, so I have maybe $30.00 into the whole thing. I also put a wood dowel horizontally across the opening to keep the dog inside until I want him out, that reduced his anxiety and my frustration very much.
Way to get the hamster running, I have an old one in my garage that I am not using anymore, would be good for the feild?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Fowl Obsession said:
DOH!!!

I just threw one out. The bottom was cracked and I didn't want my pup in it so I dumped it in the trash last week. Would of been perfect the top wasn't broken.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I won one of the Ameristep (I think it is) dog blinds a couple weeks ago. It folds down to about the size of a large dinner plate. I think it will be great for packing into places where we can't drive in with the truck.

The only problems I see with it are that it needs to be staked down or it rolls around when the dog goes in. It also could use a few more grassing straps in my opinion. I am going to add a few to mine before this season.

Remnar

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rodboy said:
Check out FA Brands "mutt Hutt"..
great product, my dog loves it.

Cabela's has them in Max 4 for 69.00 might go that route. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I recently purchased a Mutt Hutt, but I have yet to pick it up, I have heard good things about them so I figured I should try it out with my lab this fall.

My Lab is tall compared to many of the labs I see and it is my hope that she can get in and out of it without any issues, because most of the blinds out there appear to be too small for her.

I purchased an Ameristep in the spring, opened it up and promptly sent it back to Cabelas. It was basically an A-Frame shaped camo dog tent that, in my opinion, was extremely tall for the cut soy fields I typically hunt each fall (my lab could just about sit in it with her head up and not touch the top. It most definitely would have stuck out like a sore thumb and I figured it would simply be a hindrance in the field so some other Cabelas customer now probably owns it. And it did not have enough stubble straps as someone else mentioned

I also bought one of those cheaper ones that is the spring steel type last spring (06), I opened it up once and tried to fold it back down and the spring steel turned inside the seam of the fabric and it would never fold down like it was supposed to.

It now resides in my basement collecting dust because it will not even set up correctly with the steel out of wack. And quite frankly it is pretty flimsy and I am certain that my 90 LB YLF would probably destroy it in short order on a hunt.

The Avery blinds do look nice, but they also appear to be kind of small for my lab, more along the size for a 60 lb dog.

These are just my observations though, I haver never seen an Avery Blind in person to actually gauge it's real size and what is too small for my lab is probably fine for quite a few lab owners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
duckcommander101 said:
I recently purchased a Mutt Hutt, but I have yet to pick it up, I have heard good things about them so I figured I should try it out with my lab this fall.

My Lab is tall compared to many of the labs I see and it is my hope that she can get in and out of it without any issues, because most of the blinds out there appear to be too small for her
My male chocolate tops the scales at 102 lbs and is 26" high at the front shoulders and he fits with plenty of room. other than the fact of rocking it a little turning around, theres a ton of space left over.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Why not just bring a pad for the dog to lay on then cover them with a cloth or blanket. I know a young dog might find this a little tough to do, but the less you have to carry the better. When the weather wasnt too nasty I'd just cover mine with some corn stalks. Of course those "Black" ones blend in real well when it gets a little on the "Dark" side...........;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mike L said:
Why not just bring a pad for the dog to lay on then cover them with a cloth or blanket. I know a young dog might find this a little tough to do, but the less you have to carry the better. When the weather wasnt too nasty I'd just cover mine with some corn stalks. Of course those "Black" ones blend in real well when it gets a little on the "Dark" side...........;)
i just fold it up and throw it in my layout blind, so not really much extra to carry and BTW choc's blend in well also :D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Michigan Killin Crew said:
My male chocolate tops the scales at 102 lbs and is 26" high at the front shoulders and he fits with plenty of room. other than the fact of rocking it a little turning around, theres a ton of space left over.
Ranger is 9months 23" high and is about 70 pounds so it should work for him too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bmac said:
I have a basically new (still in box) FA Hide-A-Pooch in Max-4 camo I'd sell. It has been taken out of the box and may have a few sets of dog tracks in it but never hunted. The Hide-A-Pooch is their original model and is a bit taller for bigger dogs. pm me for details.

Pm sent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
my blf weighs 66 pounds and loves her finisher i picked it up for around 60 bucks she lays right down in it at watches the birds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts