Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my Brittany was bit by another friends dog. The other dog left a puncture wound on the back by the front shoulder. It hasn't bled much but there is a hole the size of the other dogs K9 there. My dog is acting fine, it just hurts her if I inspect it. Should I use hydorgen peroxide on the wound? Should I just keep my eye on it for an infection and if that occurs take her to the vet?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
you can clean it with a damp cloth and just keep an eye on it. it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
You could clean it very good with hydrogen peroxide often but from what I have been told from my vet you don't want to seal the wound up with emt gel or anything that will encourage scabbing too quickly because of the germs and depth of dog bites. You don't want a scab to seal it up or the bacteria will become trapped and could cause an abcess that the vet would have to lance and probably treat with antibiotics. If it were me, I would clean with peroxide and a damp cloth.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Been there many times. Betadine or a normal saline would be better than peroxide. Let the wound weep. The previous poster is correct. A punture wound will abcess if it heals to quickly. I always carry Amox in my first-aid kit and start antibiotics after a puncture from another dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts