Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at my wits end on this one.
I have a 4 year old Elhew Pointer, I have a 10 year old male setter.
They are both in the yard together all day, I treat them both with equal affection and care.
BUT...my Elhew pointer will sometimes tear into my old setter when they are both near me, out of jealously I assume.
When this happens I pry them apart...grab the closest thing I can and "correct" then kennel him for a spell.
I know some of you say "you can't cure aggression with aggression"...I have tried to give him a "time-out" and that sure don't get the point across, he is dog, inbred as he is.
WHAT IS THE CURE FOR A JEALOUS DOG ATTACKING MY OTHER DOG?
They normally lay together, hunt together ect. just fine...
It has been a problem for 4 years. If he wasn't a good hunting dog I know some of you would suggest the cure is a bullet...my thoughts are the same.

· Registered
5,467 Posts
It could be as easy as acknowledging the Elhew first when they are close to you. If the Elhew feels alpha to the Setter he could feel forced to assert himself when the two of them are near you, especially if you feel compelled to acknowledge your older dog first.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
Back woods has a very good point. You will want to keep them separated that would be good maintenance.

I have a male dog here that feels he needs to "whip the new dog in line" whenever a new dog is on property. So, I need to watch him close, and when I see him posture, I give him something else to do. Come, kennel, down, etc. I have to get him off of the "lock and load" stare- if you watch your dogs, you will see it soon enough. If they are snapping or biting, your too late. When you can see it coming, you can shut it down quickly if your dog is obedient enough. That's the other half of it. If your dog does not respond fast enough with their name, or come, or whatever you choose, he needs more training - not aggressive measures. I can now stop that dog with just a finger point and a "Stop it" -quietly. no yelling on my part, that type of thing seems to escalate it.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks I'll keep this advice at hand, my dogs are however very trained, I inforce "one word command".
But again...a friend or neighbor could be petting my old setter, and at the same time my pointer will walk up wagging his tail....and seconds later the fights on! It's annoying, I feel for my old setter, he's my buddy.
And the pointer does have a HUGE issue with the alpha-male thing, his problem is that he's a good fighter, he needs his butt whipped maybe?
Well keeping them seperated will be a new challenge!

· Registered
352 Posts
I have a similar problem with my two females,a 4 year old mutt and a 1 1/2 year old lab.I do not think it is an alpha dog problem because it did not start till my house was broken into and the dogs took a pretty good beating from those people.Inside the house they are the best of friends but when I try to let them out the fight is on,have to take them out one at a time now.Talked to the vet about it and he thinks it is from what happened to them.It you find anything that helps please pass it along.

· Registered
4,050 Posts
ScottSki said:
When this happens I pry them apart...grab the closest thing I can and "correct" then kennel him for a spell.
What I read in that Quote; EP asserts dominance over ES, human asserts dominance over EP. I see no correction there, maybe only reinforcing the pecking order in the EP's eyes.

You need to learn to see the signs before it happens and stop it then. If you cannot see it before hand, then Back Woods has the best advise, keep them apart.

Good luck.

· Registered
295 Posts
Scott,

Are you saying he attacks out of the blue? If so, there is no way to see it comming. He has nailed Tucker several times when his back is turned or he walked too close to your truck. I think you need to always do things (feed, train, walk, etc) with Buck first and then Sunny. Then the pecking order will be re-established to Buck, then Sunny and then you. Ha. Remember, I had the same problem with Tara.

· Registered
9,682 Posts
tailcrackin said:
Common with elhew, real common in damascus. Alot of them love to fight. Jonesy
That's a rather broad generalization. I've been around a lot of different pointers and pointer owners and I have not come across this issue as a general issue attributed to a particular blood line. I am more prone to believe this is more an attribute of the individual dog. Of course if you have evidence to the contrary I am sure people would be interested in seeing it.

· Registered
9,236 Posts
its not jelousy, you placing a human emotion on an animal,,,i do it too. its alpha dog aggression. he is saying "i'm top dog here, mind your place" punishment will not work effectivley. you need to use positive reinforcement.first you need to learn the technique for doing this , then apply it. it requires some understanding on your part so you will need to research it a bit.
ScottSki said:
I'm at my wits end on this one.
I have a 4 year old Elhew Pointer, I have a 10 year old male setter.
They are both in the yard together all day, I treat them both with equal affection and care.
BUT...my Elhew pointer will sometimes tear into my old setter when they are both near me, out of jealously I assume.
I know some of you say "you can't cure aggression with aggression"...I have tried to give him a "time-out" and that sure don't get the point across, he is dog, inbred as he is.
WHAT IS THE CURE FOR A JEALOUS DOG ATTACKING MY OTHER DOG?
They normally lay together, hunt together ect. just fine...
It has been a problem for 4 years. If he wasn't a good hunting dog I know some of you would suggest the cure is a bullet...my thoughts are the same.

· Registered
2,930 Posts
john warren said:
its not jelousy, you placing a human emotion on an animal,,,i do it too. its alpha dog aggression. he is saying "i'm top dog here, mind your place" punishment will not work effectivley. you need to use positive reinforcement.first you need to learn the technique for doing this , then apply it. it requires some understanding on your part so you will need to research it a bit.
I'll be the first to admit that the vast majority here know more about dog training than I do. I had a dog that was dog aggressive and we didn't see any results whatsoever until we started using positive reinforcement. I looked our new trainer in the eye and said that I didn't think that positive reinforcement would work, but she made a believer out of me. Unfortunately I just didn't start the training soon enough. As they always say, each dog is different; but I think the you should look into the positive method.

· Registered
206 Posts
call the Dog Wisperer:lol:

JK Have you tried to be dominate over both of the dogs in the presence of the other dog? If it truly is an alpha dog thing, well the alpha should be you.

· Registered
382 Posts
Go to some boards that the trainers are, real common on damascus lines, why ya think he was culled?? Whele didnt want that outta his kennel. You pop around enough boards ask around, you will see alot of elhew dogs are rough, in the kennel an out. I have a lil elhew bitch here right now, that you cant put nothing in the kennel with, two year old dog outta hy stryker, doesnt matter what with her, shes gonna bow up. had three dogs here earlier line bred damascus, all fighters. Man the list goes on an on. Weekend warriors wont see this, guys that work dogs all year, will. I would say an average 7 outta 10 elhew, or tight line elhew bred dogs, are gonna be fighters. Either fence fighters, or food fighters. Or fighters in general. This isnt a p match, just common facts. I will betcha he can take the dog, to any other place or put another one with him, and I will betcha his dog blows up first, unfortunately. Now dont get me wrong, few are alright, but a house average, fighters. Jonesy

· Registered
4,330 Posts
tailcrackin said:
...I would say an average 7 outta 10 elhew, or tight line elhew bred dogs, are gonna be fighters. Either fence fighters, or food fighters. Or fighters in general. This isnt a p match, just common facts. ...
Interesting: I've read quite a bit about the Elhew line, but have never come across anything resembling this piece of info--sounds worse than pitbulls! I own one (not a linebred Elhew) and he's a big ***** cat around other dogs including my GSP. The pointers we had as a kid were all the same.

ScottSki (and M.S. members): I wonder if having him "snipped" would help any?

· Registered
382 Posts
Not said anything about pitbulls. You think about the few you have been around all your life, an now........look at how many elhew dogs are on the ground, that you dont know of, plus have never seen. There are some good ones. But the damascus lines are going to be more likely fighters. You take your dog to scottski's house , and I bet there will be a phone call, in two weeks, or even in a month, that yours is hurt. Or that there has been a fight. Unfortunate, but pretty common.

· Registered
295 Posts
Scott,

Look what you have done now. Big deal if your dog has some territorial aggression. How many times have we trained or hunted together? Dozens upon dozens of times and maybe one or two small fights. Don't get him snipped. He is a fine dog.

· Registered
3,254 Posts
ScottSki said:
, he needs his butt whipped maybe?
That won't work either. I have a mean bitch who terrorizes the neighbor dog. This winter the buried fence broke. She discovered this and went visiting. $500 and a near death experience with a 6 inch gash in her neck. 3 weeks later she was healed. She went back and had her ass kicked again. No blood this time. She didn't learn.

· Registered
277 Posts
john warren said:
:yeahthat:
And Scottski if you really think the cure is the bullet, maybe rehoming the dog would be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.