Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,317 Posts
Interesting information. I (we) like the taser because if the dog is on her or our dog, contact will be easy and punishment immediate. Some things we will ask the crew at Silver Bullet.

She definitely would have hit our dog with a stick or spray by the time it was attacking, she stated it paused to sniff like many dos do then went at our dog. I also worry that hitting the dog with less than sufficient force may just piss it off.

Now she could just spray or wack any approaching dog not leashed, but as a dog lover I doubt she would. But then again that may not be a bad idea with a spray that won't permanently injure the animal.

So here is Daisy Duke with this goiter like lump. She's fuzzy now as we can't get her groomed, but our groomer is a friend so we will probably do that soon anyway.....with precautions. This is another thing I don't get why is closed considering some of the other things that are open :rolleyes:

View attachment 521075
Does you wife have a CPL? Can't have or use a taser or stun gun without a CPL.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
A customers Great Dane grabbed a hold of my forearm a few years ago, that was spooky. Caught me off guard like a deer in the headlights, before I could react he let go, broke the skin a little bit nothing too major. My grandpa was a cyclist and carried a CO2 pistol with him, don’t know how many dogs he shot but I know he shot a few listening to the stories he told.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Does you wife have a CPL? Can't have or use a taser or stun gun without a CPL.
We'll see about that!

Seriously, not living in a cave over here. I was shocked (pun intended) we could even have them in Michigan, as I researched it.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah, my anaconda is a bit large for her to be lugging around. I think she'd have a problem with a semi-auto, shooting with a limp wrist isn't good I understand....being a girl she would be better off with a derringer or something.

I love the Snake revolvers. Have a Colt python, and the Smith and Wesson Trooper. Mark 4.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My neighbors have some nasty dogs. And they don't have them on a leash or anything. These dog's will go after any dog. The neighbor behind me had a Golden retriever that always ran free, chased several of us into the house. Went after my five year old granddaughter. I called the cops, who called the dog warden who, came out. Warden's fined them, up to the tune of 3k. I was told by the district attorney, if I harmed their dog, I would be in serious trouble. WTF? I went off on this guy. The sheriff showed up, and, asked if I wanted to go to jail?. Ohio's laws concerning dog's are horrible. I couldn't do anything, even to protect myself. I told the sheriff, so, he just looked at me kind of stupid. Asked him what he would do? Said " Dead dog". I replied "Yep" ! Both neighbors know that I won't tolerate this kind of nonsense. The one's across the street, attacked the weaker dog in their house. She was screaming and stuff was being broken, my son and wife, somehow got in. I came in and the dog was in the kennel, all bloody,hers,the dog's belong to their kids whom are living elsewhere. Had the weak dog put down. People have had their dog's attacked several times. I call the cops and direct them to the people who had their dog's attacked. Finally enough people got fed up and brought legal action against the owners and the state, and county. I don't know what happened, but, the dog's are constrained.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Whether it be spray, a stick/club, or gun, dogs seem to know when you square off to deal with them. If they zero in on your dog, their awareness can be muted.

In any public access type or your own property, I’d deal with them. Just to reduce the hassle, my 1st choice is non-lethal means. I like the bleach/water spray idea, pepper spray too. After a good face full, the dog should run the other way next time you come by.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
My neighbors have some nasty dogs. And they don't have them on a leash or anything. These dog's will go after any dog. The neighbor behind me had a Golden retriever that always ran free, chased several of us into the house. Went after my five year old granddaughter. I called the cops, who called the dog warden who, came out. Warden's fined them, up to the tune of 3k. I was told by the district attorney, if I harmed their dog, I would be in serious trouble. WTF? I went off on this guy. The sheriff showed up, and, asked if I wanted to go to jail?. Ohio's laws concerning dog's are horrible. I couldn't do anything, even to protect myself. I told the sheriff, so, he just looked at me kind of stupid. Asked him what he would do? Said " Dead dog". I replied "Yep" ! Both neighbors know that I won't tolerate this kind of nonsense. The one's across the street, attacked the weaker dog in their house. She was screaming and stuff was being broken, my son and wife, somehow got in. I came in and the dog was in the kennel, all bloody,hers,the dog's belong to their kids whom are living elsewhere. Had the weak dog put down. People have had their dog's attacked several times. I call the cops and direct them to the people who had their dog's attacked. Finally enough people got fed up and brought legal action against the owners and the state, and county. I don't know what happened, but, the dog's are constrained.
Wow, you should move to the United States. ;)

jk man. But that's pretty crazy, no leash law? I wonder if liability laws the same there,? I don't see a jury convicting anyone over hurting a dog that was a perceived threat.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My daughter received this dog bite while running this weekend. The dog was a German Shepard. The owners had the dog loose in their yard when my daughter was going by. Jenny is pretty tough and made sure the dog was vaccinated and just warned the people they needed to keep there dog under control. She said because they were older people she was not going to pursue retaliation. I suggested she should have her glock with her.
View attachment 516671

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I agree completely. If she has a gun she should have it. It really isn’t that safe for women to run alone for a plethora of other reasons too. Always good to have the protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
This thread reminded me of a funny story that happened to my then, young teenage daughter. Her and a friend were chased on their bikes down the adjacent gravel road by some kind of large shepard mix. It came from a kind of run down house with people that seem to have sheriff visits every other week.

She returned the next day, (not on purpose she said) with her 1100 lb muscle bound barrel horse, Sonny. She lured the dog for a 1/4 mile or so down the road just staying ahead of it. Then she wheeled the horse around and went full tilt straight at the dog who panicked big time....chased right on it's heels all the way back up onto the porch. I can only imagine the sound and feeling of thunder that poor dog must have had. Turns out the only thing Sonny like more than running barrels was treeing dogs...:lol:

·
Premium Member
30,317 Posts
This thread reminded me of a funny story that happened to my then, young teenage daughter. Her and a friend were chased on their bikes down the adjacent gravel road by some kind of large shepard mix. It came from a kind of run down house with people that seem to have sheriff visits every other week.

She returned the next day, (not on purpose she said) with her 1100 lb muscle bound barrel horse, Sonny. She lured the dog for a 1/4 mile or so down the road just staying ahead of it. Then she wheeled the horse around and went full tilt straight at the dog who panicked big time....chased right on it's heels all the way back up onto the porch. I can only imagine the sound and feeling of thunder that poor dog must have had. Turns out the only thing Sonny like more than running barrels was treeing dogs...:lol:

I'll bet that little exercise darn near gave the dog a heart attack.

·
Premium Member
13,402 Posts
I'll row in those boats.
Pepper spray, cattle shocker, airhorn.......all of them seem lighter, more convenient, cheaper, than carrying some pistol. And less likely to poke holes in you.

That is an opinion offered by someone who has never been bitten by a dog.
Future revisions reserved.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Damn, I asked my wife if she was taking the dog out or wanted me to. She did. A dog rushed at her and about was biting the head of our dog. She tried to get it off but couldn't someone came to her rescue and got it off. I went looking for it but couldn't find it. She thought it was a boxer or bulldog of some kind.

Wish I had taken her, I carry a very sharp knife at all times and would have gutted that thing right there. She wasn't bitten but our dog has a chunk of ear missing and punctures in her neck. No idea whose dog it was. Getting some pepper spray. Her friend said she has a cattle prod we could have. I'll be taking her out for a while.

Got meds and the cone of shame on now. Careful out there!

View attachment 516597
I'm glad your dog is alive. I had a similar experience as a teenager. I had a small black lab mix that was wearing a spiked collar that I had bought on a lark. The neighbors Alaskan Malamute attacked him biting on the back of the neck. Between the collar and me beating the malamute with a shovel the malamute discontinued the attack. Later it was shot chasing cattle.

Reactions: Oldgrandman

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I'll row in those boats.
Pepper spray, cattle shocker, airhorn.......all of them seem lighter, more convenient, cheaper, than carrying some pistol. And less likely to poke holes in you.

That is an opinion offered by someone who has never been bitten by a dog.
Future revisions reserved.
I have been attacked by a dog, and now this dog of mine (ours) has been too. I never leave without some protection. Any legal protection against an illegal predator is fair game. For my wife of little strength, she needs an advantage. I have presented her the most efficient possible solutions, it is her choice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any dog that attacks is a dangerous dog. Weather it attacks a person or another dog. And the blame lies with the owner. I recently went to court about this, the lower courts refused to hear the case. However the State has accepted my case. We are just now entering the litigation process. The owners of the dog have since moved, trying to avoid this. But a summons has been served to take the dog into custody. I have had three surgeries to repair my right forearm. Luckily I didn't suffer any permanent damage.

·
Premium Member
30,317 Posts
I love the Snake revolvers. Have a Colt python, and the Smith and Wesson Trooper. Mark 4.
The Trooper MKIV is a Colt. Smith & Wesson made the Model 28, also known as the Highway Patrolman.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was in Indiana a couple months ago and met an old guy walking his Scotty. He lamented the fact that he wasn’t able to wear his regular collar because he’d had an altercation with a coyote. I looked at the dog who had clear, deep teeth marks on both sides of his head, and over the middle of his back.
I asked the guy how he saved the dog, and he said: “oh, he took care of that himself”

He showed me a cell phone picture of the coyote laying on the ground completely eviscerated.

Apparently, even little guys can sometimes take care of themselves...

61 - 79 of 79 Posts