Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you know i just got a lab pup. he is great however sense we brought him home my girlfriends husky is not doing so well with other dogs. she is fine with the puppy in that older sibling kinda way. ie he follows her around the yard and is all up in her business when he isnt sleeping. he stays at home when i take her to the dog park because he doesnt have all his shots yet. she has been getting a little crappy with other dog. today at the pet store she jumped on this poor dog just for being too close to her. this is not like her at all.
any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The first thing I'd do is take the dog to the vet to make sure there is no medical reasons for the aggression, then see a behaviorist that specializes in aggression and get the dog evaluated.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Lets see use to be the number one dog. Now have puppy stealing my time from me. Maybe I should get a little territorial and protect whats mine.

Griff

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets see use to be the number one dog. Now have puppy stealing my time from me. Maybe I should get a little territorial and protect whats mine.

Griff
that is what we were thinking. any ideas on getting her to calm down. she is good with the pup just not other dogs. she hasnt been around him and other dogs at the same time though.

dave

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
1st vet check if you have the $.

2nd, I'd make sure that your basic obedience is rock solid and then you need to make sure that you look for the signs that your dog is getting ready to be stupid. Then redirect the dog with a command or getting it's attention before it's gets stupid. This means you have to catch the dog going into a mental state. Body posture, eyes, where it's foucusing, etc. I would think that you could redirect the dog by using "sit" or "heel". Get your dog under control first and then gradual work towards new and different dogs under controled situations. Then you can move towards the random dog encounter. I also don't really care for dog parks. Lots of out of control dogs there and that can set off some dogs, especially alpha type dogs.

·
Registered
471 Posts

2nd, I'd make sure that your basic obedience is rock solid and then you need to make sure that you look for the signs that your dog is getting ready to be stupid. Then redirect the dog with a command or getting it's attention before it's gets stupid. This means you have to catch the dog going into a mental state. Body posture, eyes, where it's foucusing, etc. I would think that you could redirect the dog by using "sit" or "heel". Get your dog under control first and then gradual work towards new and different dogs under controled situations. Then you can move towards the random dog encounter. I also don't really care for dog parks. Lots of out of control dogs there and that can set off some dogs, especially alpha type dogs.
This is good advice. If you need to start off with the dog on a lead. I've done this with a dog we fostered several years ago that was not socialized very well. It took a long time, but he made steady progress.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

Sound advice here. Your dog is lashing out at other dogs, more than likely, -fear. Sometimes the fear is hard to see, but it is a reaction by your dog to protect himself. By you raising the level of obedience, your dog will know that you are really "in charge" and that you will protect him from the other dogs. Nothing wrong with stepping in front of your dog to prevent a ill mannered, seemingly playful dog to jump all over him.

Fear aggression, most likely occurs when the dog is in a "out of control" situation. ie. Dog Parks. Other dogs that have so sense of how to "shake hands" with other dogs actually provoke this type of aggression in your dog. Even if to us, it looks harmless.--- its kinda like that funny drunk at a bar, we laugh at him, but we really don't want him at our table. :lol:

I notice this quite a bit when my dogs are on a leash in a public area, field trials, petsmart, and parks. If the other dog is dragging their owner around, my dogs tense up. In the same situation, if their dog is calm on the leash. My dogs could care less.

Good luck and get a little practice. Not every dog has to like other dogs. There are people I just don't care for either.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Good advice from Socks & GSPGal!
Doubt I'd make a vet trip if the dog was normal other than this, but to each their own.

And Sandy, after all I've done, that last line hurt! I'm working on my aggression! LOL! ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Good advice from Socks & GSPGal!
Doubt I'd make a vet trip if the dog was normal other than this, but to each their own.

And Sandy, after all I've done, that last line hurt! I'm working on my aggression! LOL! ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
You just need alittle more work. :lol::lol::lol: Not sure what yet, but alittle more work. ;) Maybe Maggie scruff rollin' ya is doing some good. :lol:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
--- its kinda like that funny drunk at a bar, we laugh at him, but we really don't want him at our table. :lol:
QUOTE]

This is one of the funniest analogies I've heard in a good long time!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts