Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I am new to this muzzle loading. My friends do it all the time. I have a T/C Omega .50 cal loaded with 100gr 777 and a 250 grain sabot. Bore sighting it and then hitting the range I am shooting about

50yds 3" high
100yds 4" high

Did not get to shoot farther but that should put me back to "o" at around 150?

I do not know the engergy of this load but is it satisfactory to shoot to 150 and still have good knock down power? Is this a good load to keep with? I have checked other posts and talked a lot to the guys at the range and they said stick with it, it was a great standard load.

Really looking at trying it this year and so far excited on how well this things was grouping. My first shot at 50yds afterjust bore sighting I was 2" high and 2" left. Did not take but four shots to get 3" high at fifty. Very easy recoil and was a dream to shoot.

William

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
First I am new to this muzzle loading. My friends do it all the time. I have a T/C Omega .50 cal loaded with 100gr 777 and a 250 grain sabot. Bore sighting it and then hitting the range I am shooting about

50yds 3" high
100yds 4" high

I do not know the engergy of this load but is it satisfactory to shoot to 150 and still have good knock down power? Is this a good load to keep with? I have checked other posts and talked a lot to the guys at the range and they said stick with it, it was a great standard load.

Really looking at trying it this year and so far excited on how well this things was grouping. My first shot at 50yds afterjust bore sighting I was 2" high and 2" left. Did not take but four shots to get 3" high at fifty. Very easy recoil and was a dream to shoot.

William
You didn't mention how tight your groups are at the mentioned ranges. Don't be concerned about how high your group is at such and such yards, worry about how tight the groups are. You can adjust from high or low, but your groups' tightness is what counts. Forget about how high it is supposed to be. Shoot it at the range you plan on hunting at. That will answer all questions. Don't guess. You owe it to the game you are hunting.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Another tip to add...when you go to the range take a bottle of windex with you and run a patch down your barrel soaked in windex. Then follow it up with a dry patch to take any misture out of the barrel, some even discharge a primer to dry. This will take some of the fouling out of your barrel. Don't do it every shot, do it with every three round group. THEN when you see where your groups are hitting adjust accordingly. If your groups are patterning loose and this is consistent, THEN you may need to look at your load. If they are tight, then the load is good. Also if your ML has the breech plug exposed, keep a tie tie in your pocket with the paper stripped off one end. After every group run the end of the wire up through your breech plug, into the blast hole, this ensures reliable primer discharge.

Just have patience. The load you are working with is fine just as long as you can group. Remember, it's all about grouping with ML.

·
Registered
286 Posts
50yds 3" high
100yds 4" high

Seems a bit high to me.

Last year I took a nice doe with the ML at 130 yds using 85 gr of loose 777 (equivalent to 100 gr of pellets) and a 250 gr shockwave. I was zeroed in at 75 yds which is my normal sight distance in the woods during the regular November firearms season. But since the snow had knocked everything down visibility virtually doubled. At 130 yds, POI as compared to POA was about 3 inches. Again that was with a 75 yd zero.

Might I suggest that you zero your ML in at the yardage you would reasonably expect to be shooting game in the field.

I personally find it a whole lot easier to aim dead on at anything inside of 100 yds and hold over a few inches for the longer shots. I sure wouldn't want to instinctively put the crosshairs on something inside a 100 yds and be hitting 3-4" higher than aimed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My groups are with in 1-1.5" @ 50yds and 1.5-2" @ 100yds. The area I hunt I have shots from 40yds to 150 yds. The way I am shooting right now, I know that the highest point of trajectory will be at 100yds and zero around 150yds.

·
Registered
715 Posts
first question is what type of bullet are you using ,I shoot 265gr hornady XTP'S with two 50 gr pyrodex pellets shot a doe this year at 185yrds and dropped her in her tracks with about a 4" elevation on the shot

·
Registered
303 Posts
WW-Hornady 50 cal. SST's (which are basically shockwaves) chart says +2.8" at 100 yards, 0" at 150 yards and -7.2 at 200 yards. This is with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets. Of course you would need to confirm this with your ML but it gives you a rough estimate to start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts