Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early teal has a different shooting time of sunrise/sunset. I am wondering whether that applies to hunting early goose. I don't see anything in the digest specifically saying it does. So, if you are out with the intent on taking geese and teal, and you have geese decoy in before sunrise but after normal legal shooting time, can you take the geese?

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
The sunset time is the same for both but goose start time is 1/2 hour before sunrise and teal is at sunrise
Correct. And if I recall the discussion at the CWAC meeting when the teal season was proposed, the later time for teal was suggested in order to allow for better ID on birds, so that "non-target" birds were not getting shot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Correct. And if I recall the discussion at the CWAC meeting when the teal season was proposed, the later time for teal was suggested in order to allow for better ID on birds, so that "non-target" birds were not getting shot.
That make good sense. What is the rational for the regular times starting 1/2 hour before sunrise but ending right at sunset. Seems to me light conditions are better 1/2 hour after sunset than 1/2 hour before sunrise. Or maybe it's just my eyes.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
That make good sense. What is the rational for the regular times starting 1/2 hour before sunrise but ending right at sunset. Seems to me light conditions are better 1/2 hour after sunset than 1/2 hour before sunrise. Or maybe it's just my eyes.
Don't know. Been that way as long as I can recall. Maybe someone who's been waterfowling longer than me knows?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My thought process has always been, "if you don't know, don't pull the trigger". BUT, Ive seen some dumb stunts in the marsh over the years that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I figured. Thanks guys. We got up this morning to head out around 4am, we're up in the N. LP, west side, and a huge storm was rolling through, tons of lightening, so we passed. Tomorrow morning better be good!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Where we hunt in Canada, shooting hours end 1/2 hour AFTER sunset. I can tell you it gets pretty crazy in a teal marsh about 20 minutes after sunset! And it's a whole lot of fun. But the limit where we go is 8 ducks with no species or hen restrictions so you don't have to be as careful about what you are shooting at as we do here. Given our limits within limits (6 total but only 2-hens, 3-wood ducks, etc), I don't think I'd want the extra half hour here - even if it were offered.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's all there and explained in the guide. Teal is purposely later to help with the identification. Since this is a trial they want to make sure people have enough light for identification. Gives woodies a fight chance ;-)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've heard have no idea if its true that par of the reason for the half hr before sunset it to allow birds back into roasts and marshes for the night without getting shot up. I mean makes sense anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts