Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It can hurt the ice and it can help the ice. It all depends on the circumstances. Snow insulates. So say we get a couple 2-4 inches of snow on the ice we have now and it warms up it will help keep the ice that we have, it will also melt the snow on top and refreeze making the ice thicker.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Not unless it is 6+ inches or a heavy wet snow. The southern counties may get about 3-5 or 6 inches of light, powdery snow, but those of you up in Oakland county and St.clair will probably only see like an inch, maybe 2-3 in spots.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
:yeahthat:

Hopefully the wind will push the snow around (and not the ice) All depends on the track of the storm..

·
Administrator
35,794 Posts
If there's already skim ice and it is a light snow with winds, that stuff will blow right off the lake.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The ice is rock hard, and the snow that we will get should be lite and fluffy do to the fact thats it's going to be a cold front snow.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
All depends on the track of the storm

Woke up this AM and see that the NWS has a WSW out for 6+" of snow tonight :bash: ..... Drive to work tommorw should be a treat!!!

My bad!!!!!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I recall a few years back Checking out first ice at Geno's . The ice was approximately 5 to 6 inches. Where there were patches of snow on the ice the ice thickness was only 1"

I just hope its light and fluffy so the wind will move it off the ice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts