Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Launched out of S.J. Saturday AM with a 4-man crew. Dropped in at 65fow headed S/W. Half-way through the layout, our 16 year old Korean exchange student started chumming. In the hopes he would “Man Up” we continued laying out lines. Just as I started working a wire diver w/ meat I could see a Steely doing a tail dance behind to boat. “What the heck, no ones watching the rods ?” Well I finished to 2 wire divers and reset the DR and slider and noticed a chum slick down the port side of the prop wash. We talked with the boy and he wanted to go home, #(&%#^()&%^&*. That was the shortest trip I’ve ever had, oh-well!!

Martin

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Yep. If a lure touches water that means I fished and it's a skunk.

Thanks for the story. Been a while since we've chunked.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
A skunk should be nullified if a fish is lost at the boat due a landing error. IMO a netting miscue or failed gill plate grab is a caught fish because the leader, or the fish itself, was touched. A fish lost away from the boat does not nullify a skunk. :)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Even tho it was a super short trip due to chumming...skunk. The one time we didnt have a fish touch the deck I still don't consider it a skunk. Had a nice steelie spent behind boat and bad net job freed him. He stayed floating so we turned around and right when we tried to scoop him and he got 2nd wind...gone. Makes me feel better to not call it a skunk.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
As my duck hunting mentor told me after I claimed in my youth "I got feathers on that one" and he came back with "can you make soup out of feathers?"

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you don't land the fish, it's a skunk.

Yep! But, you do have a good excuse for the skunk!

I took two of my nephews out Friday evening out of Holland. Weather reports were calling for light easterly winds and 1' or less waves. We were greeted at the pier heads with 2-3 fters with the occassional 4' wave. My nephews loved the ride out to 100 fow, they said it was like being on a rollercoaster. Unfortunately, the 8 year old started to turn color and said he was feeling sick, so we packed up and headed in. We had to resort to trolling lake mac to get the skunk off. I'm not sure what's worse, a skunk in the boat or smelly sheepshead...

No skunk for us and the boys had fun!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yep! But, you do have a good excuse for the skunk!

I took two of my nephews out Friday evening out of Holland. Weather reports were calling for light easterly winds and 1' or less waves. We were greeted at the pier heads with 2-3 fters with the occassional 4' wave. My nephews loved the ride out to 100 fow, they said it was like being on a rollercoaster. Unfortunately, the 8 year old started to turn color and said he was feeling sick, so we packed up and headed in. We had to resort to trolling lake mac to get the skunk off. I'm not sure what's worse, a skunk in the boat or smelly sheepshead...

No skunk for us and the boys had fun!
Too bad. The lake flattened out around 8pmish on friday. Turned into a beautiful night. Picked up a couple coho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Save the leader touches for salt water. Which I still think is a cheap way to count a fish. If it's not flopping in the boat it doesn't count.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Too bad. The lake flattened out around 8pmish on friday. Turned into a beautiful night. Picked up a couple coho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Yeah, I thought it would have layed down. My nephews were excited to go so I took a half day off of work and we got out there around 3:30. Next time we'll wait until later in the day.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Was down to Holland a couple weeks ago and learned that a couple charter captains actually target sheepshead. Thought the guy was kidding until I saw a charter boat with a 12 rod spread spinning in a 1/2 mile circle netting sheep after sheep. Almost fell off my chair laughing!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've targeted sheephead in August and been rewarded with 4-6lb kings near the pier. Nice not to have to go the miles for a couple.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts