Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
5,506 Posts
I used my TC OMEGA for yrs for both gun and the late season deadly accurate out to 150 yds . I went to the 450 when they opened up the late season to guns here in zone 3 not going to lie i hate spending 45-60 mins cleaning the OMEGA after shooting it. Thats all if they drop the gun for zone 3 i'll go back to shooting it for the late season, Thinking of going up to harrison this dec for muzzy season if we go i'll break it out of the safe and go with it!

· Registered
13,863 Posts
Dandy buck Encore - Congrats!

I hunt the muzzle loader season every year in the U.P. I usually have 1 buck tag left and even if I don't we use muzzy season for doe management. Love shooting the T/C Pro Hunter and tinkering with different loads to get the most accuracy I can.

Wife used my muzzy for a Saskatchewan hunt this year....

Hunting Vertebrate Mammal Plant Smile

She tagged this deer last year with her Traditions Vortek
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Military camouflage Plant

Too bad the DNR eliminated the Zone 3 muzzle loader season, which is essentially what they did when they opened it up for center fire rifles.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Gave my sons all my centerfires years ago,ML ever since and have taken deer every year since.Many years back used a Miroku 45 cal cap lock then a CVA 50 round ball kit gun. Mid 90s moved up to a Traditions inline,a tack driver and around 2011 or 2012 another Traditions Vortek. Haven't dropped the hammer yet as i'm targeting a particular buck that is within a no firearm safety zone so its with the X-Bow. I prefer the Muzzle loader as it Smacks em dead dead and my favorite shot is a high shoulder.= No tracking...

· Addicted2hunting4
1,021 Posts
Encore... great post. I have been off busy with life and havent checked in much on the site here. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Sorry to hear about the process before the mending. Stay positive. Positivity is the best drug out there!

As for the MLs... Pops and I still have our Black Widows. We have gone down the route of me getting a GB (which you probably remember) and I got him a Franchi .350. But to be honest... the UM Black Widow is just so damn fun and accurate to shoot it still goes out with me when I hunt the traditional muzzy season. (not this year...my own long story).

I will admit that an AR is in my safe in .450. That is also a ball to shoot. A Bushmaster .450 in AR and it is as accurate as those darn Ultimate Firearms guns (for 1/5th of the price). So, for me it goes... .450 GB 11/15-11/30... Black Widow for traditional muzzy and then the .450 ARs for Doe season. Just fun to change it up a bit!

Congrats on the buck. That feeling of joy with a harvest like that never gets old my friend! Take care of yourself!

Reactions: ENCORE

· Registered
4,505 Posts
I just like seeing more hunters involved with muzzlelaoders.
I agree.

I last hunted muzzle loading season in 2011 ~ 2012 when I was hunting in DMU055 (Delta County). I started and ended using a T/C Renegade in .54, and used a .50 inline in between. I enjoyed it, and miss it. I never did ever see a buck during muzzle season, but we could get antlerless permits, so no problem. The Renegade wasn't particularly accurate, so you had to get close. That just made it fun.

Since then I've been hunting DMU007 (Marquette County). Most but, but not all, years I can't get to camp during muzzle season. Certainly not often enough to plan on hunting it. Additionally, there are no antlerless permits. I'd gladly hunt a muzzle loading season up here that was before the rifle one, but I won't hold my hand over anything waiting for such a season.

· Registered
487 Posts
We moved to southern MI back in 1986 from NW Indiana. Bought a MK-85 in 86' one hell of a gun, awsome, killed a deer or two every year with it. Up graded to a T/C Omega about 6-7 years ago and still use it today. Only have 6 more preloaded BH209 powder and will need to put Omega away till I can find some BH209, hope it comes on the market again. Any help in locating is deeply appreciated.
I bought an omega in 2011. Love it! I shoot 250 gr. shockwaves with 100 gr. ( 2 pellets) triple seven. Holds groups 1 inch or less at 100 yards. Killed a lot of deer with it.

· Registered
5,435 Posts
I love my MLs but haven't used them in a couple years. Last year, I ran out of tags before the season even arrived. This year I have a tag and some freezer space left but royally screwed up my back about a month ago and it's still giving me spasms and major nerve pain on occasion. Sitting on the couch is bad enough, don't need that when I'm out in the woods, or dragging meat out.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts