Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for advice on where to fish from shore at kensington metro park or any good shore fish near milford? A friend at work wants to take his wife fishing near his home.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've fished from shore there a few times, I've done alot better from a boat, best place I fished from shore is right around the 96 overpass, some bass and huge gar hang out around that overpass

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My dad, brothers, and I have caught lots of smallies (up to 22.5 in for me; my dad said he caught 25 in mosters, but I was too young to remeber them), big crappies, nice carp, and the occasional pike fishing from shore along the west shoreline, in the original lake area, where it drops off a bit.

My best advice would be to get a contour map from Huron-Clinton Metroparks and fish where there's structure (points, stumps, etc.) near deep water. Take a walk away from the heavily fished docks, and move around until you locate the bass.

But in the summer, you're only likely to get the bass from shore when they come in to feed: they generally hang deeper. You can PM me for a few specific holes where the big ones in the 3-5 lb range sometimes come in, or even hang out in the spring and perhaps the fall, when the most comfortable water temps are shallow.

But beware, there are a lot of snags in most of the best spots.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Turtle Head is a pretty good place to try. I've seen nice walleye, pike, bass, panfish and carp caught along the entire peninsula.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got home from Kensington . caught some gills no keepers .Turtle head is where I have been fishing . Do pertty good on gills . Caught 2 over 9 inchs there . lots of 8 incher . Dont keep any under 7 inches .

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
as the water cools walleye are decent at the buno rd bridge..it neck downs pretty well here.....crappie(when they are 'in' or 'running' or biting) can be good off the east shore fishing site...pike are good with minnows off west shore fishing piers when water cools...bass you can get about anywhere..and as aforementioned the 1-96 overpass area always holds some fish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello mhawk21912, I work at Kensington Metropark and frequently fish the lake as well. Your best spots for bass fishing are going to be by the I-96 bridge (the water is very deep here) and near Maple Beach, as there is a fair amount of underwater vegetation for bass to hide.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love fishing most parts of Kent lake, but have not fished since the do not eat advisory came out last summer from the DNR and DEQ. Has that been lifted? Last I knew it had not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love fishing most parts of Kent lake, but have not fished since the do not eat advisory came out last summer from the DNR and DEQ. Has that been lifted? Last I knew it had not.
It has not been lifted as of yet; however if you're practicing catch and release the fishing is good because no fish are being taken from the lake.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Must have some springs feeding it, otherwise the pike couldn't get as big as they do. Find those springs and you've located gator central. The original river channel must be good. I bet there's great top-water bass action when the water is about 60F in the bays that are covered with lily pads. Fly-rodding for panfish and bass is also great once the water warms a bit until shortly after bass opener.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts