Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my second wood chuck fo the season ....

Both were shot head/neck area with the 20gr bullets at 100yards, but each needed a a 2nd shot...

Would the 17 gr do better?:irked:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't have a lot of time under my belt yet with my .17hmr,just got it this past winter,but with what I've experienced with it so far,stick with the 20grs. on anything bigger than a red squirrel! The 17 grs work great on the squirrels.Lost a red fox this winter with 17grainers,but I had a poor shot placement.I should've went for a head shot but tried a behind the shoulder shot ,and well ,the fox made it back to its den and piled up in it!
Been shooting 20grs. now and they do some damage!

·
Registered
140 Posts
:yeahthat:

I love my hummer..and yessir the 20 grs do some damage, I've shot the XTP and FMJs. What were you thinking? The 17 gr ballistic tips may look cool, but I use those for smaller game and target shooting.

Now, get out there and shoot one twice for us, once w/ the hummer and once w/ the camera!
:woohoo1:

~AJ

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas...I agree about the camera...

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Death- I use the 17gr TNT hollowpoints. I've had 1 shot kills on coons, porkys, possums, and crows. I think the hp's penetrate better than the Vmax. And those seem to shoot best out of my Savage.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Prefer the 22 mag. However, its a personal choice. They can take punishment. I usually take my 22-250 and 243s for the long shots.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huntsman27 said:
Prefer the 22 mag. However, its a personal choice. They can take punishment. I usually take my 22-250 and 243s for the long shots.
Mister nasty(my rembdl700 in22-250)gets the call 150yds+

One bad thing about the 22-250 it is a bang flopper....touch em and they are dead....

I have to be more patient with the hummer (head /neck)......

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
.17 hmr i would go head shot only on chuck. it will do the job well if you do. nice thing is . with a pair of shootingsticks, or a good rest position, a head shot is easy with the hmr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts