Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in to this. I got a yellow lab who I would like to try this with. I don't have a place to go though except the Grand River and I don't want to make him swim there. Anyone have any suggestions where to go for a dock and a pond? I live in the Grand Ledge area. Thanks Jon

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bad idea, IMHO. My dog does it on her own, but I don't encourage it.

What heppens when she goes to retrieve a duck, jumps like she's been 'trained' to, and lands on a sharp branch of a log just below the surface?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This guy is more of a pet than a waterfowl dog.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Same here as Safety I don't encourage it because when they enter a beaver pond they could get hurt or killed.

Probably going to have a hard time finding anyone on this forum that does it just for that reason. Good luck though.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
SafetyMan said:
Bad idea, IMHO. My dog does it on her own, but I don't encourage it.

What heppens when she goes to retrieve a duck, jumps like she's been 'trained' to, and lands on a sharp branch of a log just below the surface?

Not to mention the "beating" that dogs legs and bones are gonna be taking. You better buy some stock in gluclosamine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
jlcrss said:
Anyone in to this. I got a yellow lab who I would like to try this with. I don't have a place to go though except the Grand River and I don't want to make him swim there. Anyone have any suggestions where to go for a dock and a pond? I live in the Grand Ledge area. Thanks Jon
I looked into this a few years ago to participate, while I live in Lansing are training areas would be similar and found nothing. I think it looks like a blast, theres minimal places to do it unless you own your own pond or have good friends.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
William H Bonney said:
Not to mention the "beating" that dogs legs and bones are gonna be taking. You better buy some stock in gluclosamine.
Guys I wasn't looking for a lecture on how bad this is for my dog. I was just wondering if anyone else was doing this and if so where. If you hunt with your dog he is going to suffer some physical wear tear as well. I think this would a great way for me and my dog to spend some time together and get him some exercise. He enjoys the water and I think he would love it. That is all. :dizzy:

·
Registered
555 Posts
You guys did everything but answer his question.

"Shaking head"

jlcrss,
I'm not familiar with the lakes in your area, but if your lab is just a house pet you should be fine teaching him to launch of the dock.
I taught mine to do it last year and he begs to do it EVERY day,,, so we do it every day. I've taught all of my labs to do this and have never incountered any problems requiring gluclosimine. He'll be running and jumping. Thats what labs do.
Like the others stressed,,, make sure there are no impailments in the water .

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll check Lake Delta some time this week, I need a different area to run, so I'll check that out for you. Can't remember if both of their docks have full railings or not (think one had a handicap gate), if you could probably move that and try it there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
http://www.ultimateairdogs.net/

This crew travels around Michigan/Indiana/Ohio and various other states but they have quite a few events in Michigan. I'd try to find a dock somewhere to get your dog jumping first because they tend to freak a little at first because it's 2 feet off the water. My younger dog loves it.

Bryan

·
Registered
797 Posts
this is hunter right off the shore, at my uncles he really launches off the dock. The stump is approx. 3 ft high

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
InTheRiver said:
this is hunter right off the shore, at my uncles he really launches off the dock. The stump is approx. 3 ft high

Thanks I think that is so cool. Hank the wonder dog would freaking love that.:lol:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iluvfish2 said:
I'll check Lake Delta some time this week, I need a different area to run, so I'll check that out for you. Can't remember if both of their docks have full railings or not (think one had a handicap gate), if you could probably move that and try it there?
Let me know I am interested in the that. Like I said I don't want to take him to the Grand River.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I do not know any places for you to go but since we are showing off...

I worry about where he is jumping but I usually know the area. I am just as worried about him running anywhere because I have had a dog slit his wrist before and it wasn't in water. It wasn't fun but accidents happen and the dog survived.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First off...don't ever go after its rained! Found out the "paths" are nothing but clay and dirt. So bad I trotted around it once and went out and did laps are the ball field for an hour.

But I checked the east and west launches and neither have any removable barriers for dock jumping. One the flip side, lots of areas to play fetch (or fish - saw lots of gills and a few bass).

I'll check Lake Interstate later on tonight (if the wife wants to go out) or tomorrow. Those are the only 2 spots I know of that stand a chance on the west side of Lansing (haven't been to many of the parks in Delta township though).

Robert

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep me posted. Lake interstate isnt too far away.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to Lake Interstate. No docks but decent shoreline for getting your dog wet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, I had plans to post this last night. The 5K for Moms put the hurt on this old boy (not to mention the bike ride to and back to Lake Interstate). But your right, theres not place for doing any dock jumping. Its got a lower section for a handicap person to fish from, but nothing removable. I think its a great lake to train on, given the trail (semi easy walking) around the lake and the sloping shorelines throughout do allow for multiple retrieves. If you head over between the 2 lakes, theres a grassy area that could work pretty well for doing grassy field retrives.

If you happen to find anything, please let me know. I'll do the same.

Robert

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know it is a little drive from where you are but in Yankee Springs (Barry County) there is a state camp ground called Deep Lake. They have 4 or five docks that have no rails. Just watch out for boats. The water is usually clear enough to see any sticks or stumps. Good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts